James Guthrie: It is better to suffer than to sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I did judge it better to suffer then to sin, and therefore I am come hither to lay down my life this day, and I bless God I die not as a Fool, not that I have any thing wherein to glory in my self: I acknowledge I am a Sinner, yea one of the vilest and greatest that hath owned a profession of Religion, and one of the most unworthiest that hath preached the Gospel, my Corruptions have been strong and many and hath made me a sinner even in all things, yea even in following my Duty: And therefore righteousness have I none of my own, but I do believe that Jesus Christ came into the World to save sinners whereof I am the chief, through faith in his righteousness and blood, have I obtained mercy, and in him and through him alone have I the hope of a blessed conquest and victory over sin and Satan, and hell and death, and that I shall attain unto the Resurrection of the just and be made a partaker of eternal life, I know whom I have believed, and he is able to keep that which I have committed to him against that day.

I have preached Salvation through his name, and as I have Preached so I believe, and do commend the riches of his free grace and faith in his blood unto you all, as the only way whereby you can be saved, and I bless God as I die not as a fool, so also I die not for evil doing, not a few of you may happily judge that I suffer as a Thief, or as a Murderer, as an evil Doer, or as a busy-body in other men’s matters, that was the lot of our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and hath been the lot of many of his precious people and servants, to suffer by the World as evil doers, and as my soul stirs not at that, but desires to rejoice in being in conformity to my blessed head, and so blessed a company in these things, so do I desire in prayer that I may be to none of you to day on this account a stone of stumbling, or a Rock of offence. ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back