James Guthrie on being a willing sufferer in the Lord’s cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I Fear many of you come hither to gaze rather then to be edified by the carriage and last words of a dying man, but if any have an ear to hear, as I hope some of this great Confluence have, I desire your audience as to a few words: I am come hither to lay down this earthly tabernacle and mortal flesh of mine; and I bless God I do it willingly, and not by constraint, I say I suffer willingly, if I had been otherwise minded I might have made a diversion, and not been a prisoner, but I being conscious to my self of nothing worthy of death or bonds, I would not stain my conscience with the suspicion of guiltiness by my withdrawing. Neither have I wanted opportunity nor advantages to escape since I was a Prisoner: Not by the fault of my Keeper, God knows, but otherwise. But neither for this had I light or liberty, least I should reflect upon the Lord’s Name, and offend the Generation of the Righteous.

And if these men have not been mistaken or dealt deceitfully in telling me so, I might have avoided, not only the severity of the Sentence, but also had favour and countenance by complying with the course of the times: But durst not redeem my Life with the loss of my Integrity, God knows I durst not. And that since I was a Prisoner the Lord hath so held me by the hand, that he never suffered me to bring to debate in my inward thoughts, much less to propound or hearken to any Overtures in that kind.

For the reference, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back