James Morgan on Irish Presbyterian support for the Church of Scotland in the Ten Years’ conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Her existence is independent of her civil establishment. Even her increase and prosperity may be attained in the midst of persecution. Yet her Establishment is a blessing, and every lawful means is to be employed for its maintenance. No principle must be sacrificed for it – but it is to be prized if it can be had consistently with principle.

We [the Irish Presbyterians] are to seek to procure for her what we enjoy ourselves, the patronage and support of the State, with uncontrolled freedom and independence. Let us ask our rulers to consider what they have done, and still do for us, and enquire why they should not do the same for them. ...

Presbyterians have their politics, but they value their religion more. And be the ruling powers who or what they may, the support of Presbyterian Ulster will be given to none who oppress the Church of their Fathers, and seek to suppress the fundamental principles of their ecclesiastical polity. ...

For more, see James Morgan on Irish Presbyterian support for the Church of Scotland in the Ten Years’ conflict.

N.B. I think that the final paragraph was a pot-shot at Henry Cooke.

Give me the best book on Irish Presbyterian History...

I won't be giving it to you, as you can buy it yourself. Do you think that I am a Democrat? ;)

The best book is Finlay Holmes's Our Irish Presbyterian Heritage. It may be difficult to acquire at present, but he has another, more simple book entitled The Presbyterian Church in Ireland, which is easier to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back