Jamison Faucett Brown Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeutter

Puritan Board Senior
When I was growing up all of the conservative pastors had the Jamison Faucett Brown Commentary set on their shelf. It no longer seems to enjoy popularity. Is their any particular reason why it has declined in popularity?

I really appreciate JFB. They are definitely in the CT camp, but even a staunch TR advocate would benefit from their commentary. (Not trying to derail your thread with another NT ms family/stream discussion).

Biblical scholarship has advanced, which is why Calvin, Poole, Henry, JFB, and K&D are all often consulted after some of the newer works.

JFB is freely available to read online, but if you can pick up a set, it's better and easier. Just my $0.02.

I really appreciate JFB. They are definitely in the CT camp, but even a staunch TR advocate would benefit from their commentary. (Not trying to derail your thread with another NT ms family/stream discussion).

Biblical scholarship has advanced, which is why Calvin, Poole, Henry, JFB, and K&D are all often consulted after some of the newer works.

JFB is freely available to read online, but if you can pick up a set, it's better and easier. Just my $0.02.
They really do have some meaningful discussions on certain passages, and would be worth the time to use and consult.

I find it remarkable that at point in history a publisher would seek out a former moderator of the Church of Scotland, a former moderator of the Free Church of Scotland, and an Anglican cleric from the North of England, a Prebendary of York, to write a commentary on the whole Bible.

I find it remarkable that at point in history a publisher would seek out a former moderator of the Church of Scotland, a former moderator of the Free Church of Scotland, and an Anglican cleric from the North of England, a Prebendary of York, to write a commentary on the whole Bible.

It is rather an interesting anomaly, isn't it? But their work was good!

Hi David,
I know that other mediums have different conventions, but, when you write here, I would encourage you to use the first person pronoun ("I") more often to avoid confusion. I have noticed a number of your posts omit it and that usually requires the reader to have to reread your post to try to understand what you are trying to say.
Just a suggestion!

Hi David,
I know that other mediums have different conventions, but, when you write here, I would encourage you to use the first person pronoun ("I") more often to avoid confusion. I have noticed a number of your posts omit it and that usually requires the reader to have to reread your post to try to understand what you are trying to say.
Just a suggestion!
Thanks for your suggestion, and I will try to use it on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back