Jane Austen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan, I'm a little amused that you thought Mr. Darcy's becoming more courteous was an 'emasculation' -- I've always demurred from thinking of arrogance, rudeness, etc., as typically 'male' :) (Or was it the weeping girls who emasculated Mr. Darcy? If so, I apologise for our lachrymose sex.)

I'm guessing based on your previous preferences, that you will probably not take to Persuasion but may like Northanger Abbey.

Last edited:
Jane Eyre has been my favorite book since I first read it back in 1962. However, I didn't like Mr. Rochester and I had to become an adult before I realized why: he was a weak, immoral man who lacked the goodness and solid character of Jane. Why on earth did she love that guy? He wasn't worthy of her.

I think the Brontes just couldn't resist a dark brooding hero with a Past - all except Anne, who had really taken on board the lesson of her brother's life and death. If she hadn't, I suppose Arthur Huntingdon in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall would be another Rochester/Heathcliff and Helen would have loved him to the bitter end! As it was, the third Bronte rose triumphantly above the family weakness, and her heroine saw through the louse.
I think there may be a BBC version of The Tenant too, but I have no idea what it's like. The book is a good read

I really liked The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. There was a movie I saw fairly recently, it was ok. They took some liberties, of course, and they ruined the ending. It was the Tara Fitzgerald one. I see that there is another BBC one but it was originally Dutch or something. They have it on Amazon but only for that region, it stars Cathy Murphy. I want to try that one, has anyone seen it?

Ryan, I'm a little amused that you thought Mr. Darcy's becoming more courteous was an 'emasculation' -- I've always demurred from thinking of arrogance, rudeness, etc., as typically 'male' :) (Or was it the weeping girls who emasculated Mr. Darcy? If so, I apologise for our lachrymose sex.)

Surely "both" can't be the wrong answer ;)

I wouldn't consider an honest confession of one's scruples to be rude. Perhaps a defect of his was that he imputed such a label to Elizabeth when she refused him. He was already out of his wits by then, though, so it makes sense; he should have just stuck with the banter.

I tease. But I actually do think that's what's missing from the second half: Mr. Darcy's tameness inhibited the manifestation of Austen's wit that is so clear and enjoyable in the first half.

a mere housewife said:
I'm guessing based on your previous preferences, that you will probably not take to Persuasion but may like Northanger Abbey.

Thanks for the tip.

Ryan, that made me laugh. And it is actually, exactly the assessment I had reading your first post. I thought, 'Aha, here is a man who can appreciate, not so much the fine grammatical structure, the nice manners, the lucid social satire throughout, the toiling of patience through many obstacles to ulterior joy; but the quality of the banter.'

(I tease :)

More seriously, I do think there are at least parts of Northanger Abbey you will like. And I do have to sincerely compliment your taste in televised versions of Pride and Prejudice (none of the others does justice to Austen's wit, which I agree is at its most effervescent display -- yes, probably in the first half of that book).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back