Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am presently listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. I am a big jazz fan and like all kinds but really like the cool period of the mid to late 1950s. Always happy to hear of other jazz lovers.

I do.

I like some of Diane Krall's stuff, and Chick Corea. I like the swing stuff too, like Bill Berry and Count Basie.

Ever listen to Nat King Cole play jazz piano? He was really good!

In fact, he actually made it first as a pianist, before someone realized his voice was excellent too.

I also like Oscar Petersen's jazz piano playing.

And Miles Davis on the trumpet? Teriffic!

Originally posted by Swampguy
I am presently listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. I am a big jazz fan and like all kinds but really like the cool period of the mid to late 1950s. Always happy to hear of other jazz lovers.

Kind of Blue is possibly one of the best jazz albums ever made!
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
John Coltrane

Originally posted by fredtgreco
I do.

I like some of Diane Krall's stuff, and Chick Corea. I like the swing stuff too, like Bill Berry and Count Basie.

Chick Corea/Lenny White

I am a smooth jazz lover - like the classics, too - depends on my mood for which I am drawn to most.

A rainy day and Miles Davis - wow...

What good is melody, what good is music
If it ain't possessin' something sweet
It ain't the melody, it ain't the music
There's something else that makes the tune complete
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing
It don't mean a thing, all you got to do is sing
It makes no diff'rence if it's sweet or hot
Just give that rhythm ev'rything you got
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing
-- Ella Fitzgerald

:cool:
doublebass8iq.gif

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I like it ...but usually only in small doses. I guess I have to be "in the mood."

Being the music theory nut that I am, I think that I'm mostly fascinated by their use and understanding of harmony (especially in the Be-boppers).

For you guitar afficionados, check out:

Joe Pass on the "Virtuoso" recordings if you can find them. Amazing -like Charlie Parker with six strings. This guy is so fluid in his improv that it's astounding at times.

Wes Montgomery. The definition of "smooth" personified.

Barney Kessel on the Poll Winners recordings. Very nice ...and accessible, not too "out there."

Kenny Burrell. Some real fine guitar playing -a great sense of chord usage/harmony. He once accompanied Coltrane for a season.

Been hearing about a guy called Louis Prima for awhile. Downloaded some of his stuff and he really swings. A New Orleans cat that makes you want to shake you shake ya booty. Is that reformed? :D

[Edited on 12-10-2005 by Swampguy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back