Jean Daillé and Lutheran Eucharistic Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Following on from the post on Eastern Orthodoxy, here is another interesting observation from Jean Daillé. Personally speaking, I think his view of the Lutheran error on the Lord's Supper and that of the French Reformed Synod in admitting Lutherans to communion is much too loose. What do you folks think of it?

The difference that is between us and such of our brethren as are called Lutherans is of the same nature. I confess, 'tis as impossible for us to believe, as to conceive their Position, concerning the body of our Saviour being really present in the bread of the Eucharist. But yet 'tis possible (and I think according to the laws of charity, necessary) to bear with that in their doctrine which we cannot believe. For this opinion, in the terms and sense wherein They hold it, hath no venom in it that I see.

It abolisheth not the Sacrament, it destroys not the sign whereof it consisteth, it adoreth it not, it neither divides nor mutilates it, it makes it not an expiatory sacrifice for our sinnes, it leaves it both the nature and the virtue of a Sacrament, and doth not take any thing, (formally, directly, and immediately) from Christ, either of his substance or his properties: only it would have even the humanity of Christ present in the Eucharist (that we may receive the virtue of his death, and communicate of his body and blood, (as S. Paul speaks) 1 Cor. x. in such a manner as they confess incomprehensible.

Which hypothesis (whiles it goes no further) engageth us not in any thing that is contrary either to piety or charity, either to the honour of God or the good of men: And so it may and ought to be tolerated. And this hath been continually our judgment, and so declared by the French churches in the national Synod held at Charenton in the year MDCXXXI. by an express act, wherein they receive such as are called Lutherans into their Communion, unto their Holy Table, notwithstanding this opinion, and some few others of less importance, wherein They and We differ.

Jean Daillé, An apology for the Reformed churches wherein is shewed the necessity of their separation from the Church of Rome: against those who accuse them of making a schism in Christendom, trans. Thomas Smith (Cambridge: University of Cambridge, 1653), pp 24-25.

He makes some good points but. All in all the elders and pastors have a responsibility to fence the table, I guess even a faulty understanding of it. But if a church has a more open communion than I don't see it being anyone's business what someone's personal beliefs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back