Jean Daille

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Jean Daille (1594-1670) was a French Huguenot minister and Biblical commentator. He is mentioned in J.A. Wylie's History of Protestantism. Perhaps his most famous work is an Apology for the French Reformed Churches which was translated into English but has not been reprinted, to my knowledge, since 1653. He wrote commentaries on Philippians, Colossians, Timothy and Titus. Only the first two have been translated into English as far as I know, but they are highly recommended:

Exposition on Philippians

Exposition on Colossians

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Jean Daille (1594-1670) was a French Huguenot minister and Biblical commentator. He is mentioned in J.A. Wylie's History of Protestantism. Perhaps his most famous work is an Apology for the French Reformed Churches which was translated into English but has not been reprinted, to my knowledge, since 1653. He wrote commentaries on Philippians, Colossians, Timothy and Titus. Only the first two have been translated into English as far as I know, but they are highly recommended:

Exposition on Philippians

Exposition on Colossians
Another one of Jean Daille's important works is his A Treatise on the Right Use of the Fathers in the Decisions of Contrversies Existing at this day in Religion (Philadelphia: PresbyterianBoard of Publication, 1856).
It is an excellent treatment regarding Roman Catholic claims concerning the early church fathers. My copy has been a great help to me.

Blessings,
DTK

[Edited on 7-18-2005 by DTK]

Originally posted by DTK
Another one of Jean Daille's important works is his A Treatise on the Right Use of the Fathers in the Decisions of Contrversies Existing at this day in Religion (Philadelphia: PresbyterianBoard of Publication, 1856).
It is an excellent treatment regarding Roman Catholic claims concerning the early church fathers. My copy has been a great help to me.

Blessings,
DTK

Thanks, Pastor King. I had heard that he did a work on the church fathers, but did not know the title. Is your copy antiquarian?

Originally posted by DTK
It is an excellent treatment regarding Roman Catholic claims concerning the early church fathers. My copy has been a great help to me. It was a gift to me.

Blessings,
DTK

Thanks, Pastor King. I had heard that he did a work on the church fathers, but did not know the title. Is your copy antiquarian?
Yes, I suppose so. It is a Second Americal Edition, Revised and Corrected by the Editor of the Board, 1856. My copy was formerly in the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary library.

Blessings,
DTK

I don't know whether someone already mentioned this before but the famous commentary by Daille on Philippians and Colossians is published together with the puritan Jenkyn on Jude in one volume by: James Nichol of Ediburgh.

This man re-published quite some interesting Puritans and other noteworthy men in the 19th century. I was able to get Charnock his complete works (5 vols.) and the above mentioned volume (which is huge) for $50.- and $30.-

Everybody who ever wants to get rid of books published by this man,... pleaheahease contact ME :D

I have one more book by this Nichol. It is called: A Being Filled With the Spirit, by JOHN Goodwin. Sometime Minister of the Gospel in Coleman Street, London. Epistles Dedicatory by Ralph Venning.
Does anyone of you know whether this man was a relative of Thomas Goodwin?

By the way: The books I mentioned in my former post plus this book are all part of the NICHOL'S SERIES OF STANDARD DIVINES, PURITAN PERIOD.

I don't think so. I also thought he was an arminian. I believe I just read about him being in opposition to John Owen in Peter Toons biography on Owen. Owen had to contend with John Goodwins arminianism.

Just found this on Monergism.

Vol. 11 of Owens works...

Volume 11: Continuing in the Faith
The Doctrine of the Saints' Perseverance Explained and Confirmed
Written to answer "Redemption Redeemed" by the Arminian, John Goodwin, the main treatise of this book contains a minute refutation of Goodwin's views but nevertheless would, in the words of Andrew Thompson "be almost as complete were very part of it that refers Goodwin expunged, and undeniafroms the most masterly vindication of the perseverance of the saints in the English tongue."

Brief bio on Daille:

1670 Jean Daille, French Protestant preacher and spokesman, died April 15 (b. 6 January 1594, Châtellerault, France). He studied philosophy in Châtellerault and Poitiers and theology after 1612 in Saumur. He lived in the house of the governor Philippe Duplessis Mornay as a educator of his grandchildren and traveled with them from 1619 to 1621 to Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Holland and England. In 1623 he became court preacher for Duplessis Mornay and in 1625 preacher in Saumur. After 1626 he worked with the Paris Huguenot community as a preacher that in Charenton and in 1659 was president of the last Huguenot national gathering in Loudun. He was well-known as an important theologian and an esteemed preacher. He wrote numerous works, particularly to the early church and the history of dogma.

Some works by Jean Daille available on the market may be found here.

Pastor King,

Are you familiar with this one?

DAILLE, JEAN.: - Adversus Latinorum de Cultus Religiosi Objecto Traditionem.
4to, pp [80], 802, [3, errata], title in red and black wth printer's device, bound in contemporary yapped vellum, slightly soiled, slight browning to a few leaves, a few old seminary stamps, but generally an excellent clean tight copy, FIRST EDITION of this significant later work on traditions, true and false, of the early Christian church by Jean Daille [1594-1670], one of the foremost protestant thinkers of his time.
Geneva, De Tournes, 1665.

Pastor King,

4to, pp [80], 802, [3, errata], title in red and black wth printer's device, bound in contemporary yapped vellum, slightly soiled, slight browning to a few leaves, a few old seminary stamps, but generally an excellent clean tight copy, FIRST EDITION of this significant later work on traditions, true and false, of the early Christian church by Jean Daille [1594-1670], one of the foremost protestant thinkers of his time.
Andrew,

Aware of it, yes...familiar with it, no. It's referenced by Turretin a number of times, and it has been referenced in a number of secondary works I've read dealing with the subject of patristic theology. As far as I know, it's never been translated into English.

DTK

Originally posted by DTK

Pastor King,

Andrew,

Aware of it, yes...familiar with it, no. It's referenced by Turretin a number of times, and it has been referenced in a number of secondary works I've read dealing with the subject of patristic theology. As far as I know, it's never been translated into English.

DTK

Thanks for that info, Pastor King. My own pastor is currently translating Matthew Poole's Synopsis Criticorum from Latin into English, but afterwards is looking for yet-untranslated works by French Huguenots (in French or Latin) to translate. I will let him know about this possibility.

My own pastor is currently translating Matthew Poole's Synopsis Criticorum from Latin into English, but afterwards is looking for yet-untranslated works by French Huguenots (in French or Latin) to translate. I will let him know about this possibility.
Andrew,

Wonderful, I bid him Godspeed, and pray that both can be completed and published for the benefit of Christ's Church.

DTK

Notable quotes from Jean Daille:

"œMinisters are not cooks, but physicians and therefore should not study to delight the palate, but to recover the patient."

"Thankless men are like swine feeding on acorns, which, though they fall upon their heads, never make them look up to the tree from which they come."

"It is not enough that our actions be good and praiseworthy, if our intentions are not pure and upright. It is to profane the good to do it with a bad end in view."

Commenting on Col. 3.16: "œThe apostle names three sorts of them [i.e. "˜divine canticles´], psalms, hymns, or praises, and odes, or songs "¦ You have various examples of them all in the book of Psalms "¦ It is with these sacred lyres, of which the word of Christ affords us both the matter and the form, that the apostle would have us solace ourselves. St. James gives us orders for it: "˜Is any among you merry? let him sings psalms,´ James 5:13. The apostle calls all these sonnets spiritual, both on account of their author, who is the Holy Spirit, and also of their matter, which concerns only divine and heavenly things, the glory of God, and our salvation "¦"

Originally posted by DTK
Originally posted by DTK
It is an excellent treatment regarding Roman Catholic claims concerning the early church fathers. My copy has been a great help to me. It was a gift to me.

Blessings,
DTK

Yes, I suppose so. It is a Second Americal Edition, Revised and Corrected by the Editor of the Board, 1856. My copy was formerly in the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary library.

Blessings,
DTK

This work was republished by Sprinkle Publications in 2001. I have obtained a copy and it looks an invaluable resource wrt to Roman Catholic apologetics vis-a-vis the early church fathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back