Jehova's witnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach

Puritan Board Sophomore
I am building a relationship with two Jehova witnesses. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of the best approach with them. They gave me some literature to read. I will interact with it and talk to them again when they stop by. Should I make a list of the passages which prove the Deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit? Any comments would be helpful, especially from those who have experience in this area. Thanks.
"In Christ",
Bobby

One of the things I try to do is sit down with my Bible and their "bible" and compare passages such as John 1. Challenge their view of the inerrancy of the JW "bible".

How would you actually challenge their view. For example, your Bible says one thing, Theirs says another. Now, what do you do, get out an interlinear?
Thanks,
Bobby

Man, JW's are so boring. Why don't they come out with the 'radical Jehova's' or the '144' club' or the 'militant Jehova's'? It would boost their conversion rate.

Preach:

Howdy! I'll U2U you my phone number. Perhaps we can chat. I have several insights for you that I think you'll find invaluable in dealing with the JW's. I consider myself a "semi-expert" in dealing with JW's, since I almost became one myself! I helped my ex-wife get out of the JW's, and I want to share with you how that was possible. I'd like to be able to tell everyone the same info, but it would require too much typing.

One website, however, that proved VERY helpful, was:

www.bible.ca

if anyone has any info about this site, I'd welcome it. They seem to be VERY legalistic, but their critique of the JW's could not have been more helpful!

I would recommend studiously avoiding any discussion of the Trinity. Instead, focus on the deity and sufficiency of Jesus Christ. Once they admit that Jesus Christ is God, the Trinity becomes a given.

Isaiah 43:10, 11 are most helpful. "You are my witnesses, says Jehovah" is known by everyone, for that is the origin of their name. However, verse 11 says "I am Jehovah, and beside me there is no savior."

Before discussing or mentioning these verses, get them to say that Jesus Christ is a savior (Matt. 1:21; Luke 2:11).

Because Satan has blinded their hearts and minds, you probably won't get very far. However, these seeds may in later years spring forth into eternal life.

Robert Morey's, [i:0dcee28928]How to Answer a Jehovah's Witness[/i:0dcee28928] is an excellent resource. It is published by Bethany House. My copy dates to 1980 and I do not know if it is in print.

I would be happy to mail you (or e-mail) a copy of a tract I wrote entitled, New World Translation proves Jesus is Jehovah. U2U me, if interested.

carm.org is a pretty good source, and I am sure there are plenty more on the web. Your local Christian bookstore may have Ron Rhodes' "Reasoning from the Scriptures with the Jehovah's Witnesses". Early on in my Christian life I found this to be an excellent resource in dealing with them at the door. I believe the most helpful element in interacting with them is staying on particular passages for a few minutes before moving on. In most of my interaction with them, I am supposed to meet with one tonight, I find that they are very quick to go from Col. 1 to 1 Co. 11 to John 10, etc. Camp out on a particular passage and establish its meaning.

A couple of the main verses to do this with is John 12 and relate this to Isaiah 6. Establish from John 12 that John is talking about Jesus' glory and all that entails (the hardening of hearts), then go back to Is. 6 and show that it is talking about Jehovah. Hebrews 1:8-11 and its OT Psalm references (42 and 103(?)) also establish the context of Heb. 1 to be of Jesus, then do the same with Jehovah in the Psalms. Make sense? From their own Scriptures you can show that Jesus is = to Jehovah. They may even be willing to break out the KJV Bible with you, so that is another route to work with. And pray and pray and pray. They are very hard hearted...

Wish I could be more help, but God never sends me JW's. I only get Mormon elders.

I do have David A. Reed's [i:f5b21c9f27]Jehovah's Witnesses - Answered Verse by Verse.[/i:f5b21c9f27] Published by Baker Book House, and my copy dates to 1990. Might still be in print. You have a ton of resources here, and even a personal contact who was once a JW and is now Reformed. Wow! I wish I knew a former Mormon who is now Reformed! Could I ever do some brain-picking!

Praying for your wisdom in witnessing. In the end, it's all a matter of the Spirit of Christ telling you what to say and when to say it. Just study up and listen. God gives the increase.

In my experience, whether Mormon or JW's, I always meet them on my ground. If they are not willing to let me lead the exchanges, I will not go further; after all, they came to my door right???

Most all cults are -works- based. The dismantling of any cult can be accomplished by addressing the doctrine of election. It clearly seen in the scriptures and cannot be avoided. The semi-Pelagian idea falls to the ground like a dead flower when the capacity of the elcetive decree is brought to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back