Jeremiah 10:1-4 and the practice of decorating trees during Christ-mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Puritan Board Senior
Is there any application to modern practices of decorating trees during Christ-mass from this passage?

Jeremiah 10:1-4 King James Version (KJV)

1 Hear ye the word which the Lord speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

For those that are making a god; yes. For those who do it because that's what you do at this time of year, it has as much significant linkage to paganism as the names of the days of the weeks and months.

I think those who are attempting to instill the tree with Christian meaning are unwittingly coming closer to the practice described in Jeremiah 10 than "those who do it because that's what you do." It may be with great intentions, but it still seems to be false worship even if ostensibly offered to the true God.

Did the Israelites think their adorned wooden idols were pagan gods or that they represented pagan gods (1st Commandment)? Maybe some did, but I get the impression that many attempted to offer worship to Yahweh through such means (2nd Commandment issue). In a very similar way, we should not adopt a pagan practice and give it Christian meaning as though that made everything fine and dandy. Like Mr. Coldwell, I'm not quite as concerned with those who adopt a Christmas tree simply because that's the fun seasonal thing to do. I am concerned with the creation of annual rituals created by men for the purpose of honoring our Lord's birth which are not found in the pages of Holy Scripture.

It may be with great intentions, but it still seems to be false worship even if ostensibly offered to the true God.

Hi Bryan,

I am confused as to why putting up a decorative object in one's home would be construed as an act of worship. To me, the tree is just a seasonal object, not unlike a pumpkin in October. Do you know people that actually worship the tree OR think they are worshipping God by means of the tree?

For those that see a Christmas tree as an object or form of worship, I would like to ask the following:
What is the necessary part of a Christmas tree that differentiates it (as a false form of worship) from any other non-seasonal decorative object in the home that is not construed as act or object of worship?

Cheers,
Ryan

There does seem to be a certain adoration of the tree by some. This song comes to mind, though I don't know how it is used:

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree,
Your branches green delight us!
They are green when summer days are bright,
They are green when winter snow is white.
Your branches green delight us!

You give us so much pleasure!
How oft at Christmas tide the sight,
O green fir tree, gives us delight!
You give us so much pleasure!

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree
Forever true your colour.
Your boughs so green in summertime
Stay bravely green in wintertime.
Forever true your colour.

You fill my heart with music.
Reminding me on Christmas Day
To think of you and then be gay.

I am confused as to why putting up a decorative object in one's home would be construed as an act of worship. To me, the tree is just a seasonal object, not unlike a pumpkin in October. Do you know people that actually worship the tree OR think they are worshipping God by means of the tree?

Ryan,
I was referring to the many Christians who imbue the tree with Christian symbolism as seen here in a fairly representative piece:
"For many Christians the Christmas tree still retains the symbolism of the Paradise tree. The tree reminds us of the tree in Eden by which Adam and Eve were overcome and which thrust them into sin. But more importantly, the tree reminds us of the tree by which our sin was overcome, namely the tree upon which Christ Jesus was crucified. Is it a stretch to refer to the cross as a tree? Hardly, for this is the language of the New Testament itself! For example, Paul writes in Galatians 3:13, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree" (quoting Deut. 21:23). And Peter writes, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." Therefore, the Christmas tree is a wonderful symbol and reminder of our salvation and forgiveness through Jesus Christ!"
(O Christmas Tree: The Origin and Meaning of the Christmas Tree)

Based on what I've heard, I might also refer to the recent Kirk Cameron film as another such example.

I was referring to the many Christians who imbue the tree with Christian symbolism as seen here in a fairly representative piece:

Interesting. I've never met someone that believed the xmas tree was a symbol of the 'paradise tree' or had even heard of someone believing that. Maybe that just speaks of my circle of exposure more than anything else. The last Kirk Cameron I watched was when he was on Growing Pains in the mid 80s.

I can certainly see your point when one incorporates the tree as your quote describes. Thanks for the response.

(sorry moderators, I updated my profile to reflect my church and city but for some reason it seems to have reverted to my previously modified) I'll try again. Thanks for your patience.

There does seem to be a certain adoration of the tree by some. This song comes to mind, though I don't know how it is used:

Reminding me on Christmas Day
To think of you and then be gay.
Thinking of Christmas trees does not make me gay, it makes me think of the day after Christmas, when I have to take it back out to the shed.

We put up a Christmas tree, but we don't try to force any spiritual meaning into the tree itself. It's just a seasonal decoration. I'm aware that some believers try to come up with Christian symbolism to fit the tree, but this always seems a stretch, and I suspect most of them know that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back