Jeremiah Burroughs on what the light of nature teaches us about religion and morality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
As now for instance; The light of Nature that will teach this: That we are to worship God: the Heathens have worshiped God in their way. … Yea, the light of Nature will teach, That we must live justly among men, yea, and that we must do as we would be done to: This the light of Nature will teach.

Many of the Heathens have had that principle, to be just with men, to do as we would be done by. The light of Nature condemns gross sins, of Drunkenness, Adultery, Swearing &c. I could give you many instances in the Laws of Heathens, punishing those sins very severely, and some of them with death. …

Many particulars might be named to shew how far we might go by the light of Nature; but now I only bring it in to this end, to shew that if we would have our Conversations such as becomes the Gospel of Christ, we must go beyond what ever any have done by the light of Nature: and yet Oh Lord how short do many Professors of Religion come of this! How many that will profess they hope to be saved by Christ! ...

For more, see Jeremiah Burroughs on what the light of nature teaches us about religion and morality.

I recall you posting several other excerpts from "Gospel Conversation." Is that a particular favorite of yours?

I recall you posting several other excerpts from "Gospel Conversation." Is that a particular favorite of yours?

I do really like that one; I read it about this time last year. I am currently re-reading Gospel Remission, which I first read shortly after I purchased it on 28 December 2001!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back