Jesus' commandments

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
How would we clearly define what is meant by Jesus' "commandments" in John 14:15, where he says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments"? I hear antinomians say this all the time...and even well-meaning Christians.

One thing I usually talk about is how the Bible talks of how Christ was involved in the giving of the Law on Mt Sinai (Acts 7, Ps 68), and many such at Witsius have written a lot on that matter.

Obviously we need to be full-counsel-of-God Christians (making our case from both NT and OT), but is there a way I can show these people from the Gospels that Christ's commandments would extend to the 10 commandments?

Off hand and without time to reference, I think He commanded a direct reiteration of 9 of them (not the Sabbath) and the further imposition of the inner person being judged on adultery and murder, not just the overt act (great...)

As I wrote (in part) here:

When Jesus said that the greatest commandment was that we ought to love God with our whole being and love our neighbour as ourselves, He was repeating what Deuteronomy 6:5 & Leviticus 19:18 explicitly teach. In other words, love is not a new concept, but an old concept which is, and always has been, faithfully explained in the law. Furthermore, Jesus taught that those who love Him would keep His commandments (plural – John 14:15), not just a broad commandment to love.

We also see that Jesus defends and promotes moral truth through His exposition or citation of the Ten Commandments in His public ministry:

• First commandment: “For it is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.’” Luke 4:8
  • Second commandment: “‘And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’” Mark 7:7
  • Third commandment: he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation” Mark 3:29
  • Fourth commandment: “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.” Mark 2:27
  • Fifth commandment: “For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’.” Matthew 15:4
  • Sixth commandment: “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders…” Matthew 15:19
  • Seventh commandment: “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery”Luke 16:18
  • Eighth commandment: “You know the commandments: … ‘You shall not steal’” Luke 18:20
  • Ninth commandment: “You are of your father, the devil… he is a liar and the father of it.” John 8:44
  • Tenth commandment: “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Luke 12:15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back