Jesus isn't God argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
I am used to Watchtower stuff, but this seems "different". Any thoughts?

Let us now proceed to see if the notion of Yeshua and Hashem (Jesus and God) being the same entity is scripturally sound. This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but it needs to be covered, for those who do believe they are the same being. Later, as I show that there are none equal to God the Father, temptation will arise among trinitarians to proclaim that they are a single God, thus I give evidence to the contrary before the issue comes up. To do this we need to know what it is we're looking for, don't we? If they are a singular entity, then they will be the same in all aspects right? Obviously, not in physical body, but if they are the exact same being, then they should have, among other things, the same WILL and the same KNOWLEDGE... But this doesn't appear to be the case, scripturally. As I have not completed my study, many of these will be from Matthew. Some of the same messages can, of course, be found in the other gospels.

Not everyone who says to me 'Lord! Lord!' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, only those who do what My Father in heaven wants.

Matthew 7:21

This was to fulfill what had been spoken through Yeshayahu the prophet,

Here is my servant, whom I have chosen, my beloved, with whom I am well pleased

-Matthew 12, quoting Isaiah 42 (WHOSE servant?)

He said to them 'Yes, you will drink my cup. But to sit on my right and on my left is not mine to give, it is for those for whom My Father has prepared it.

-Matthew 20:23

But when that day and hour will come, no one knows - not the angels in heaven, not the Son, only the Father.

-Matthew 24:36

He fell on His face, praying, 'My Father, if possible, let this cup pass from me! Yet - Not what I want but what you want!".... A second time... "My Father, if this cup cannot pass unless I drink it, let what you want be done"... Leaving them again, He went off and prayed a third time, saying the same words.

Matthew 26:39-44

If He were the Creator incarnate, surely He would have known that it were not possible. He wanted another way, He wanted not to suffer - against this there is no law. This does not in any way detract from who He is, what He did, or His blameless, sinless nature. Nonetheless, He asked something that was not in Hashem's will.

And again

Abba! ("Dear Father") All things are possible for you! Take this cup from me! Still, not what I want, but what you want.

-Mark 14:36

Don't you know that I can ask My Father, and He will instantly provide more than a dozen armies of angels to help me?

Matthew 26:53

One need ask oneself for nothing. One merely does.

Elohi! Elohi! L'mah sh'vaktani?

My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me?

Mark 15:34

Whoever welcomes this child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me, welcomes the One who sent me

Luke 9:48

Again, one needn't send oneself. One merely goes.

Whoever listens to you listens to me, also whoever rejeects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the One who sent me

Luke 10:16

Here's where it gets more interesting -

One of the leaders asked him "Good Rabbi, what should I do to obtain eternal life?" Yeshua said to him, "Why are you calling me 'good'? No one is good but God!"

Luke 18:18

Everyone who says something against the Son of Man will have it forgiven him; but whoever has blasphemed Ruach HaKodesh will not be forgiven.

Luke 12:10

This is an interesting term, Ruach HaKodesh. Normally translated "The Holy Spirit", in my understanding of Hebrew (feel free to offer opinions, Hebrew speakers) it could as accurately be translated "The Spirit of Holiness". However we translate it, it would appear that Yeshua did not want to be revered on the same level as Ruach HaKodesh. I use this verse last (in this section) for a reason, that being it leads me into the next section - The Son of Man. There are many theories about what the term implies, and why He used it to refer to Himself, but first let me give you a batch of references, so that each may look into it for themselves. My study has not concluded through John, so I'm sorry if I'm missing some repeated references, or worse, some that do NOT appear in the other gospels.

The Son of Man has authority on Earth to forgive sins

(Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10, Luke 5:24)

The Son of Man is Lord of Shabbat

(Matthew 12:18, Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5)

The Son of Man is to be rejected, betrayed, and abused in accordance with the Tanakh (which you may call the "Old" Testament)

(Matthew 12:40, 17:12, 17:22, 20:18, Mark 9:12, 9:31, 10:33, 10:45, 14:21, Luke 9:22, 9:44)

But WHO is this "Son of Man"? He was called also the Son of God, by (among others) a voice from the heavens! Why did he continually refer to Himself thustly? I submit that it was in accordance with His higher teachings, which were always in parables... Always specifically directed at those who had "ears to hear" - That is, to those who were prepared to understand the true meaing of the teachings. This was also in accordance with His status as Torah-made-flesh. The student of Torah will understand its meaning -

God is not a man, that he should lie,

nor the Son of Man, that he should change his mind

Numbers 23:19

Was this merely a vague statement by an ambiguous prophet? But didn't the Son of Man change His mind? Did he not prophecy again and again, that He would be betrayed, that He would suffer and die, and rise?.... .... And then, did He not still ask that if possible, the cup of that suffering pass his lips? It is not a discredit to Him that He did so, but it makes Balaam's prophecy much more specific that He did.

We have seen above that Yeshua and HaShem are not the same being.. That at times, their wills differed, and on some matters, Yeshua did not have the full knowledge that Our Father had. Now that we have established their uniqueness, let us review some passages on the incomparable nature of God-

You will realize that I am without equal in all the Earth

Exodus 9:14

This was shown to you, so that you would know that Adonai (The Lord) is God, and there is no other beside him.

Deuteronomy 4:35

Hear, Oh Israel! Adonai our God, Adonai is One!

Deuteronomy 6:4 (quoted in Mark 12)

See now that I, yes I am He; and there is no god beside me.

Deuteronomy 32:39

There is no one like God

Deuteronomy 33:26

No one is as holy as Adonai, because there is none to compare with you, no rock like our God

Is there any God beside me? There is no Rock - I know of none.

Isaiah 44:8

I AM Adonai; there is no other; besides me there is no god.

Isaiah 45:5-6

There is no one like you, Adonai! You are great, and your name is great and mighty!

Jeremiah 10:6

You will know that I AM with Isra'el and that I AM Adonai your God, and that there is no other

Joel 2:27

Don't we all have the same Father? Didn't one God create us all?

Malachi 2:10

1 Samuel 2:2

You are great, Adonai, God; for there is no like you, and there is no God besides you - everything we have heard confirms that.

Adonai, God of Isra'el, there is no God like you in heaven above or on Earth below

1 Kings 8:23

Adonai is God; There is no other

1 Kings 8:60

Adonai, there is no one like you, and there is no God besides you - everything we have heard confirms that.

1 Chronicles 17:20

Adonai, God of Isra'el, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth.

2 Chronicles 6:14

There is none like you among the gods, Adonai; no deeds compare with yours

Psalms 86:8

For us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things come and for whom we exist; and one Lord, Yeshua the Meshiach, through whom were created all things and through whom we have our being.

1 Corinthians 8:6

For God is one; and there is but one Mediator between God and humanity, Yeshua the Meshiach, Himself human, who gave Himself as a ransom on behalf of all

1 Timothy 2:5

Please understand, brethren, that I do not rebuke you out of spite or malice, but out of love. There are today, as there have always been legalists, who like to tell us what we must and cannot do. There are those Bible teachers who want submission from their congregants, as there have always been. There are others, humble men, but who have been taught this false doctrine, believed it, and taught it themselves. Perhaps such people are reading these words now. I ask you to meditate on these passages, to pray about this issue, and if you feel convicted about this, to repent and to honor and glorify Abba, Adonai Eloheinu, I AM, The God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David... and Jesus, alone.

He is our God. There is none else.

Perhaps I am oversimplifying matters, but It seems to me that the author of all this is confused about basic Christology. He doesn't distinguish (not to say "separate") the two natures of Christ and erroneously attributes to one nature what belongs to the other, violating the Definition of Chalcedon.

Originally posted by houseparent
No, in my desire to hunt for an argument I may have glossed over the simple answer.:p;)

:p

I'm not sure of the origins of this distorted view of the scriptures, but in reply to it you could start with the WCF q's on the nature of God with the accompanying prooftexts...

Q. 7. What is God?

A. God is a Spirit,[18] in and of himself infinite in being,[19] glory,[20] blessedness,[21] and perfection;[22] all-sufficient,[23] eternal,[24] unchangeable,[25] incomprehensible,[26] every where present,[27] almighty,[28] knowing all things,[29] most wise,[30] most holy,[31] most just,[32] most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.[33]

Q. 8. Are there more Gods than one?

A. There is but one only, the living and true God.[34]

Q. 9. How many persons are there in the Godhead?

A. There be three persons in the Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one true, eternal God, the same in substance, equal in power and glory; although distinguished by their personal properties.[35]

Q. 10. What are the personal properties of the three persons in the Godhead?

A. It is proper to the Father to beget the Son,[36] and to the Son to be begotten of the Father,[37] and to the Holy Ghost to proceed from the Father and the Son from all eternity.[38]

Q. 11. How doth it appear that the Son and the Holy Ghost are God equal with the Father?

A. The Scriptures manifest that the Son and the Holy Ghost are God equal with the Father, ascribing unto them such names,[39] attributes,[40] works,[41] and worship,[42] as are proper to God only.

Matt

Well, the guy making these claims seems to be very wrapped up in the Jewish language and culture. He acts as if we can't trust ancient creeds and such because we should study ourselves and take the bible at face value. He comes across as if he's watched too much of the DaVinci code or something.

He asks me to "teach" him then tells me how much scripture is ignored in what I try and tell him. It's odd.

Sounds like a messed up Messianic Jew. Their New Testaments seem to have a lot of Hebrew words in them, like this fellow's does. I once looked through the "Jewish Encyclopedia of the Bible" and found they called Paul "Shu'al" or something like that. But that's not the same thing as speculating as to the words which Jesus spoke in Aramaic / Hebrew whereas the inspired text is in Greek. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what it seems to me.

Originally posted by polemic_turtle
Sounds like a messed up Messianic Jew. Their New Testaments seem to have a lot of Hebrew words in them, like this fellow's does. I once looked through the "Jewish Encyclopedia of the Bible" and found they called Paul "Shu'al" or something like that. But that's not the same thing as speculating as to the words which Jesus spoke in Aramaic / Hebrew whereas the inspired text is in Greek. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what it seems to me.

Interesting observations here. This isn't the first time I've heard something like this coming from a Messianic Jew (if that's what he is). They've even had a different outlook on things like baptism, saying that it's of their origin.

An ebionite I ran into had the same sort of hangup --if I say "Jesus" he has to say, "Yeshua" or put verbal quotation marks around his pronunciation of the term. I don't know if it's affectation or just them somehow thinking that Hebrew/Aramaic are holy, magical or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back