Jesus saves? Or does the Spirit save?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Okay, I am trying to be precise here.

Jesus saves the sinner by his death. But it is the Spirit that actually regenerates and gives new life.

Therefore the Holy Trinity all save the sinner: the Father elects, the Son dies and the Spirit regenerates those for whom the Father chose and the Son died.

Can anyone help me more precisely list the roles of the Spirit in His work? And how is His role different from the Son's. And how should we speak of these roles.

People say all the time "Jesus saves" but I never hear anyone exclaim 'THe Holy Trinity Saves"... I hear people receiving Christ, but never receiving the Trinity.

I think the Heidelberg Catechism is helpful here:

Q53: What do you believe concerning the "Holy Ghost"?
A53: First, that He is coeternal God with the Father and the Son.[1] Second, that He is also given unto me:[2] by true faith makes me a partaker of Christ and all His benefits,[3] comforts me,[4] and shall abide with me forever.[5]

1. Gen. 1:2; Isa. 48:16; I Cor. 3:16; 6:19; Acts 5:3-4
2. Matt. 28:19; II Cor. 1:21-22
3. I Peter 1:2; I Cor. 6:17
4. Acts 9:31
5. John 14:16; I Peter 4:14; I John 4:13; Rom. 15:13

Read John Owen's book on Communion With The Triune God to go into great detail about the Trinity's work in salvation - Amazon.com: Communion with the Triune God: John Owen,Kevin J. Vanhoozer,Kelly M. Kapic,Justin Taylor: Books

Okay, I am trying to be precise here.

Jesus saves the sinner by his death. But it is the Spirit that actually regenerates and gives new life.

Therefore the Holy Trinity all save the sinner: the Father elects, the Son dies and the Spirit regenerates those for whom the Father chose and the Son died.

Can anyone help me more precisely list the roles of the Spirit in His work? And how is His role different from the Son's. And how should we speak of these roles.

People say all the time "Jesus saves" but I never hear anyone exclaim 'THe Holy Trinity Saves"... I hear people receiving Christ, but never receiving the Trinity.

Hello, thanks David. That would takeme 3 months to have shipped to me....do you have the Cliff Notes handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back