Jesus says Eternal Life = Knowledge of the only true God & Jesus Christ whom He sent. Why? John 17:3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steward

Puritan Board Freshman
(a) Why does Jesus in John 17:3 define "Eternal Life" as a specific form of the Knowledge of God?
(b) And, why in related scripture is this contrasted with "Eternal Punishment", and "Eternal Destruction", and eternal perishing and eternal death?
(c) And also, the Reprobates in Hell clearly have an eternal tormented existence, but the scriptures don't refer to this eternal existence as eternal life, so what is the distinct difference?
(2 Thessalonians 1:9 Matthew 25:46 Romans 6:23 John 3:16 Matthew 25:41 Revelation 20:14)

The knowledge is a relational knowledge and not mere facts. The eternal life is Jesus himself. Our union with him gives us access to this life. No unbeliever has this. John teases these themes out more in 1 John. (Sorry for the brevity, on mobile).

The knowledge is a relational knowledge and not mere facts. The eternal life is Jesus himself. Our union with him gives us access to this life. No unbeliever has this. John teases these themes out more in 1 John. (Sorry for the brevity, on mobile).
Thank you TheInquirer,

Well spoken!

If you are not up for furthering this discussion, I understand.

I'm quite worn out these days, and even getting talked out (and anyone who has ever known me well would have never thought that possible, including myself).

But if you are up for a "leisurely" discussion, these are some of my understandings, and also some questions, regarding this John 17:3 knowledge. The Image of God regenerated elect are being conformed unto is the Image of His Son, who is Jesus Christ, who is the perfect Image of God. I define the Image of God as the reflection of some of God's perfections in a creaturely way, comprising true saving knowledge of God (John 17:3 & Colossians 3:10), Righteousness and true Holiness (Ephesians 4:24).

It is interesting you state the truth of the John 17:3 knowledge being relational. Additionally, Believers are "In Christ". Unbelievers are in enmity and outside of Christ. But isn't there another kind of knowledge known by all Unbelievers that leaves them without excuse? And, what kind of knowledge is it since it can't be the knowledge revealed in John 17:3 or Colossians 3:10?

In Christ, s.

But isn't there another kind of knowledge known by all Unbelievers that leaves them without excuse? And, what kind of knowledge is it since it can't be the knowledge revealed in John 17:3 or Colossians 3:10?

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Both knowings are relational. God reveals things. The difference is (1) one is a good honest loving relationship which has been reconciled and the (2) other is a relationship that abhors the founder of life. We are all born in the second manner. We are dead in sin and in need of the washing and regeneration of the Holy Ghost because of our first federal head Adam who violated the Commandment of God. As it is stated by our Confessional Heritage. Adam violated the Covenant of Works and we are born dead in him. In the Second Adam (Messiah the Prince) we find reconciliation.

Last edited:
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Both knowings are relational. God reveals things. The difference is (1) one is a good honest loving relationship which has been reconciled and the (2) other is a relationship that abhors the founder of life. We are all born in the second manner. We are dead in sin and in need of the washing and regeneration of the Holy Ghost because of our first federal head Adam who violated the Commandment of God. As it is stated by our Confessional Heritage. Adam violated the Covenant of Works and we are born dead in him. In the Second Adam (Messiah the Prince) we find reconciliation.
Good Morning PuritanCovenanter!

Exemplary response, thank you!

Your confession is the WCF, correct?

Some respond to this type of "Knowledge" that the unregenerate have that leave them without excuse as being a remnant of the original Image of God in Adam & Eve having survived the fall.

But our H.R.T.S. (Historical Reformed Theology Society), that most of our missionaries belong to, has been researching the Image of God for many years, and we have come to think that the "Knowledge of God" that Adam & Eve had was a "Holy righteous Knowledge of God", though not the full "Life Eternal true saving Knowledge" referred to by Jesus in John 17:3 and also described in Colossian 3:10 that the elect will obtain in its fullness when Jesus returns.

We do not believe this "Holy righteous Knowledge of God" survived the fall.

Furthermore, the Regenerate Elect are being conformed unto the Image of His Son, who is Jesus Christ, who is the perfect Image of God;
and when Jesus returns and all elect are glorified body and soul, the elect will then finally be fully conformed to Christ's Image comprising the "Life Eternal true saving Knowledge of God" (John 17:3 Colossians 3:19), and Righteousness and true Holiness (Ephesians 4:24).

Therefore, we think that which is "Manifest and Shewn" by God to all fallen men, who are relationally in enmity with God, thereby leaving them without excuse is direct communication from God to fallen man through several means, and not a surviving remnant of the special "holy knowledge of God" that Adam and Eve possessed before the fall and lost.

We also think it possible this knowledge fallen man has is similar to the belief the scriptures say "even the devils and the demons possess" because it is not a saving belief because it is not saving faith, and fallen man denies this belief and everything else God communicates to him including the glorious declarations of Himself via the heavens and in all things made suppressing all of it in unrighteous.

This is why when we from HRTS are sharing the Gospel with Atheists who invariably profess upfront their firm disbelieving of the existence of 'a god', we reply that we happen to know they do believe in God but are suppressing it in unrighteousness according to the scriptures!

Thank you for listening! Our studies and research into this exceedingly deep area of study continue with no end in sight.

Also, for your information the other area we are focusing upon because it is so intimately related to the Image of God, is the doctrine of the Immutable Human Will of Christ, and thus the Impeccability of Christ.

I welcome your insights and opinions regarding this, if you are up for a continued discussion on this.

Though I might not be able to get back online for several days.

Yours In Christ, Steward

Last edited:
Give me some time to think about what you are saying Steward. Right off the bat I would conclude you are assuming some things. This kind of sounds like some form of Reformed Theology with Gnosticism sprinkled in to it. I will respond more after I have some time to consider what you are saying.

Good Morning PuritanCovenanter!

Exemplary response, thank you!

Your confession is the WCF, correct?

Some respond to this type of "Knowledge" that the unregenerate have that leave them without excuse as being a remnant of the original Image of God in Adam & Eve having survived the fall.

But our H.R.T.S. (Historical Reformed Theology Society), that most of our missionaries belong to, has been researching the Image of God for many years, and we have come to think that the "Knowledge of God" that Adam & Eve had was a "Holy righteous Knowledge of God", though not the full "Life Eternal true saving Knowledge" referred to by Jesus in John 17:3 and also described in Colossian 3:10 that the elect will obtain in its fullness when Jesus returns.

We do not believe this "Holy righteous Knowledge of God" survived the fall.

Furthermore, the Regenerate Elect are being conformed unto the Image of His Son, who is Jesus Christ, who is the perfect Image of God;
and when Jesus returns and all elect are glorified body and soul, the elect will then finally be fully conformed to Christ's Image comprising the "Life Eternal true saving Knowledge of God" (John 17:3 Colossians 3:19), and Righteousness and true Holiness (Ephesians 4:24).

Therefore, we think that which is "Manifest and Shewn" by God to all fallen men, who are relationally in enmity with God, thereby leaving them without excuse is direct communication from God to fallen man through several means, and not a surviving remnant of the special "holy knowledge of God" that Adam and Eve possessed before the fall and lost.

We also think it possible this knowledge fallen man has is similar to the belief the scriptures say "even the devils and the demons possess" because it is not a saving belief because it is not saving faith, and fallen man denies this belief and everything else God communicates to him including the glorious declarations of Himself via the heavens and in all things made suppressing all of it in unrighteous.

This is why when we from HRTS are sharing the Gospel with Atheists who invariably profess upfront their firm disbelieving of the existence of 'a god', we reply that we happen to know they do believe in God but are suppressing it in unrighteousness according to the scriptures!

Thank you for listening! Our studies and research into this exceedingly deep area of study continue with no end in sight.

Also, for your information the other area we are focusing upon because it is so intimately related to the Image of God, is the doctrine of the Immutable Human Will of Christ, and thus the Impeccability of Christ.

I welcome your insights and opinions regarding this, if you are up for a continued discussion on this.

Though I might not be able to get back online for several days.

Yours In Christ, Steward

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back