"Jesus" statue stolen from local church

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do PCA congregations display images purporting to represent Jesus, the second persons of the God-head, and evade discipline by their presbyteries? Even if a minister or other officer should be allowed an exception to WLC 109, this is not license to ignore what it says in practice.

There are some ARP congregations with stained glass windows of "Jesus." I'm guessing these were probably installed during times of widespread ignorance of the Standards. It's bad enough (but also common enough) for laypeople to be ignorant of this, but why in the world would Sessions allow this to take place? :scratch:

How can they remove an image of a person whose image was never duplicated?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that because we don't know what Jesus looked like, the icons should be allowed to stand since they aren't "really Jesus"?

That seems like analogous to Aaron responding to Moses, "Don't get mad about the calf, little brother, since we all know that isn't what YHWH really looks like."

How can they remove an image of a person whose image was never duplicated?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that because we don't know what Jesus looked like, the icons should be allowed to stand since they aren't "really Jesus"?

That seems like analogous to Aaron responding to Moses, "Don't get mad about the calf, little brother, since we all know that isn't what YHWH really looks like."

No, I'm not arguing for the false image, I'm emphasizing its false aspect through pointing out the absurdity in those pictures and statues that claim to be "Jesus" and yet depict a white man with blue eyes.

Just for the common information of our board: I have never ministered in or been familiar with a single PC(USA) congregation that had any problem with images that tried to represent Jesus. None, nada, zip, zilch. The only PC(USA) sanctuaries that do not have these images are only because of the age of the sanctuary, if you get my drift.

Most PC(USA) churches put up nativities in the sanctuary, sometimes even up front in the chancel. One year a lady even asked if we could put up her big stuffed bunny in the sanctuary on Easter. I said no. But that story illustrates the level of illiteracy in PC(USA) churches about the 10 Commandments as applied in the Reformed faith.

No, I'm not arguing for the false image, I'm emphasizing its false aspect through pointing out the absurdity in those pictures and statues that claim to be "Jesus" and yet depict a white man with blue eyes.

:agree:

Yes, this is absurd. Also absurd is having the hippie long hair on this "Jesus," when in all likelihood this was not the common trend in 1st century Palestine, and appears to be in direct contradiction to 1 Corinthians 11:14.

Dude, aren't you aware that Jesus threw a glow in the dark frisbee and wore Cachos?

:lol: And He apparently looked like a Medici.

Cachos? I don't even know what those are. As the great philosopher Fonzie once said, "You're in trouble when I get to a dictionary."

What if someone would have painted a picture of Jesus while he was on Earth?
Slightly puzzling at first sight, but sort of intriguing -
I think the answer may be threefold:
1) people in that culture and time in any case weren't given to painting each other's portraits, certainly not in rural Judaea, so it probably wouldn't happen
2) unless it was done with the understanding that Jesus was divine, it wouldn't be of any significance in the way being discussed
3)perhaps most important, - if there had been any danger, Jesus himself would have prevented it

Just a bit of information regarding this matter

In church history, iconoclasts were people who believed that creating any visible representation of Christ or the saints was idolatry and in direct violation of the second commandment (according to the enumeration of Protestantism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Judaism; the Roman church numbers this prohibition as part of the first commandment).

The Iconoclastic controversy took place in the Middle Ages as many sought to rid the church of any and all images. The controversy began as Byzantine Emperor Leo III ordered the destruction of all icons throughout the empire in AD 726 . In 754, the Iconoclastic Conciliabulum declared, “If anyone ventures to represent the divine image of the Word after the Incarnation with material colors, let him be anathema! …. If anyone shall endeavor to represent the forms of the Saints in lifeless pictures with material colors which are of no value (for this notion is vain and introduced by the devil), and does not rather represent their virtues as living images in himself, let him be anathema!”

Those who revered icons were known as “iconophiles” (icon lovers) or “iconodules ” (servers of images). They argued that the second commandment was divinely superseded as Christ, through the Incarnation, was the exact representation of God. Therefore, images of Christ were not idols, but valid representations of a self-revealed God. John of Damascus argued that to deny the use of icons was to deny the Incarnation. Both the Eastern and the Western church condemned the Iconoclasts.

In a more general sense, the term iconoclast can be a reference to anyone who attacks and seeks to overthrow traditional beliefs and/or institutions.

In grace,
Dudley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back