Jesus wept

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
John 11.35: Jesus wept.

This is the shortest verse in the Bible. But, I think, one of the most profound. The verse that to my mind sums up the mystery of the Incarnation.

God as man, without sinful passions, but with passion.

Much more could be said, but I don't want to say too much. This verse just blows me away the more I think about it.

Something to ponder....

as I recall, that meaning of "wept" actually means to "rage" or something like "outrage." A very intense anger; profound grief.

Not only did Christ love His friend, He was furious over the ultimate devastation sin wreaks on His creation. Calvin explains that the most mature way a Christian could handle death is to be utterly outraged at its destruction - furious, for the offense it is to the work of a sublime Creator -- it being, the last enemy.

:detective:

Robin

Originally posted by Robin
Something to ponder....

as I recall, that meaning of "wept" actually means to "rage" or something like "outrage." A very intense anger; profound grief.

Not only did Christ love His friend, He was furious over the ultimate devastation sin wreaks on His creation. Calvin explains that the most mature way a Christian could handle death is to be utterly outraged at its destruction - furious, for the offense it is to the work of a sublime Creator -- it being, the last enemy.

:detective:

Robin

:amen: I agree with Robin, total outrage at sin's devastation in humanity.

100% holy & undefiled emotions...so what does THAT look like?!?! Amazing, isn't it? I've often wondered if this perhaps is what John meant in Rev. 4:3 when he likened the One sitting on the throne as unto a sardius stone...

"Beautiful God, Beautiful Man. All creation bows before the Lamb.":sing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back