Johann Gerhard on the Lutheran division of the Decalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I have really been enjoying reading Johann Gerhard's Theological Commonplaces on the Law, but this comment on how Lutherans enumerate the ten commandments really let the cat out of the bag. I used to be of the opinion that the disagreement on this point was a rather trivial one, but I believe that experience teaches us that subsuming the second commandment under the first tends to weaken the force of the former to the point that it is honoured more in the breach than in the observance:

Before we go on to our opponents’ arguments with which they attack this division and set down our supports for it, we must note carefully the following hypotheses: (1) The establishment of an ordinal number in the commandments of the Decalogue is of itself and by its nature an adiaphoron. It is certain that there are ten commandments, that is, the cardinal number of the commandments is certain; but nowhere did Moses add which one is the Second and which is the Third Commandment. (2) Therefore it is a sin against Christian liberty when our adversaries foist as necessary their enumeration by which the commandment about graven images is made the Second. (3) It is also a very serious sin against Christian love and unity when well-established churches are disturbed by an untimely battle over this division. (4) Our adversaries, who contend that the commandment about graven images is the Second, believe that images themselves are utterly forbidden, and not just their worship and veneration; they work hard to push their false interpretation on the church in the same effort. (5) Attributing a mutilation of the Decalogue to Luther’s catechism, they try to eliminate his catechism from the church by secret schemes. These cases are quite pressing, and, because of them, that enumeration of the commandments of the Decalogue is nowhere accepted in our churches.

Johann Gerhard, Theological Commonplaces: On the Law of God, on the Ceremonial and Forensic Laws, trans. Richard J. Dinda, ed. Benjamin T. G. Mayes and Joshua J. Hayes (1613; St Louis MO: Concordia Publishing House, 2015), XV.4.6. § 44 (emphasis added).

Another section of scripture that I believe speaks directly to this topic is:
“Therefore watch yourselves very carefully. Since you saw no form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, beware lest you act corruptly by making a carved image for yourselves, in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water under the earth. And beware lest you raise your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and bow down to them and serve them, things that the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.
Deuteronomy 4:15‭-‬19

Sadly, their traditions trump the clear teachings of scripture.

I will be honest, Johann Gerhard's fuller defence of the Lutheran position infuriated me. The passages that he quotes in defence of it only go to prove that the first and second commandments are deeply intertwined (as is the third commandment), but that does not mean that they are not distinct commands. It was also pretty clear from his argument that the motivation for turning the second commandment into an appendix to the first is to entirely blunt the force of that precept so that it is easier to evade its clear teaching. The idea of dividing "You shall not covet" into two separate commandments is so absurd as to barely even deserve refutation. I used to think that the disagreement over the enumeration of the Decalogue was a trivial one, but I am convinced that it is a much more serious matter than it initially appears to be.

(4) Our adversaries, who contend that the commandment about graven images is the Second, believe that images themselves are utterly forbidden, and not just their worship and veneration; they work hard to push their false interpretation on the church in the same effort.

As becomes clear from his exposition of the first commandment (as he defined it), Gerhard was poisoning the well somewhat with this comment. He cites various Reformed divines to the effect that images are not condemned simpliciter in all contexts. But that point still does not circumvent the reality that the prohibition of unauthorised images in religious worship was a distinct commandment.

Yep, and this is a major counterpoint to the Lutheran assertion that they take the text as it says on passages like I Peter 3 (baptism now saves you), or the literal body and blood real presence with the institution, and so on. The 2nd Commandment practically screams off the page relative to the 1st and it's crazy to combine it (and the 9th/10th division is equally as absurd).

It was also pretty clear from his argument that the motivation for turning the second commandment into an appendix to the first is to entirely blunt the force of that precept so that it is easier to evade its clear teaching.

Actually, the historical rationale isn't quite that cut-and-dried. Catholics, EO churches and Lutherans largely follow the Decalogue as enumerated by Augustine, and Anglicans, Reformed and most independent Protestants largely follow a division set out in the LXX and echoed by Origen. Augustine laid out the arguments for his take in his Questions on Exodus (Q.71).

From Wikipedia

LXX
P
R
T
S
A
C
L
Commandment (KJV)
—​
—​
(1)​
1​
—​
—​
1​
—​
I am the Lord thy God
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Thou shalt have no other gods before me
2​
2​
2​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
3​
3​
3​
3​
2​
2​
2​
2​
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
4​
4​
4​
4​
3​
3​
3​
3​
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
4​
4​
4​
4​
3​
3​
3​
3​
Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy
5​
5​
5​
5​
4​
4​
4​
4​
Honour thy father and thy mother
6​
8​
6​
6​
5​
5​
5​
5​
Thou shalt not kill
7​
6​
7​
7​
6​
6​
6​
6​
Thou shalt not commit adultery
8​
7​
8​
8​
7​
7​
7​
7​
Thou shalt not steal
9​
9​
9​
9​
8​
8​
8​
8​
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
10​
10​
10​
10​
9​
10​
10​
9​
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house
10​
10​
10​
10​
9​
10​
10​
9​
Thou shalt not desire thy neighbour's house
10​
10​
10​
10​
9​
9​
9​
10​
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife
10​
10​
10​
10​
9​
10​
10​
10​
or his slaves, or his animals, or anything of thy neighbour
—​
—​
—​
—​
10​
—​
—​
—​
You shall set up these stones, which I command you today, on Aargaareezem. (Tsedaka)

There are two major approaches to categorizing the commandments. One approach distinguishes the prohibition against other gods (verse 3) from the prohibition against images (verses 4–6):
Another approach combines verses 3–6, the prohibition against images and the prohibition against other gods, into a single command while still maintaining ten commandments. Samaritan and Jewish traditions include another commandment, whereas Christian traditions will divide coveting the neighbor's wife and house.
  • T: Jewish Talmud (c. 200 CE), makes the "prologue" the first "saying" or "matter."
  • S: Samaritan Pentateuch (c. 120 BCE), contains additional instruction to Moses about making a sacrifice to Yahweh, which Samaritans regard as the 10th commandment.
  • A: Augustine (4th century), follows the Talmud in combining verses 3–6, but omits the prologue as a commandment and divides the prohibition on coveting into two commandments, following the word order of Deuteronomy 5:21 rather than Exodus 20:17.
  • C: Roman Catholicism largely follows Augustine, which was reiterated in the Catechism of the Catholic Church(1992) changing "the sabbath" into "the lord's day" and dividing Exodus 20:17, prohibiting covetousness, into two commandments.
  • L: Lutherans follow Luther's Large Catechism (1529), which follows Augustine and Roman Catholic tradition but subordinates the prohibition of images to the sovereignty of God in the First Commandment[3] and uses the word order of Exodus 20:17 rather than Deuteronomy 5:21 for the ninth and tenth commandments.

Last edited:
Didn't Wycliffee introduce the correct division of the law in his translation? Also, didn't know this as I was digging around to remind myself on this, it is said the Philonic Division of the law which is the same (gets the second commandment right) was the version used at Christ's time (found in Philo and Josephus). Also, didn't know that the Greek Orthodox have the right division also. Is that all correct? Ref: https://prayerfoundation.net/ten-commandments-different-versions/

Also, didn't know that the Greek Orthodox have the right division also.

I actually posited that the EO agreed with the RC/Lutheran division, but my memory seems to have failed me - at least according to this EO website, and others, where they follow the LXX/Reformed/Anglican breakdown.

Didn't Wycliffee introduce the correct division of the law in his translation?

I'm not sure about Wycliffe. His Bible didn't have any versification, so I'm not sure how that could have been denominated.

Actually, the historical rationale isn't quite that cut-and-dried. Catholics, EO churches and Lutherans largely follow the Decalogue as enumerated by Augustine, and Anglicans, Reformed and most independent Protestants largely follow a division set out in the LXX and echoed by Origen.

He makes that point in defence of his position, and, to be fair to him, he does fairly set out the historical precedent for the alternate division. But having read even more of him on this subject today, I am still convinced that his underlying theological motivation is exactly what I said that it is.

He makes that point in defence of his position, and, to be fair to him, he does fairly set out the historical precedent for the alternate division. But having read even more of him on this subject today, I am still convinced that his underlying theological motivation is exactly what I said that it is.

Fair enough, though I would maybe say that the historical tradition his church follows is potentially more conducive to his theology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back