Johann Oecolampadius’s exhortation to John Foxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Sythen the time I first perceived in you, your desire to the word of God and his holy institution, I have not ceased to be solicitous in mind and prayers for you, desiring the father and sender of our Captain Christ to increase that thing in you which he hath begun. And that inwardly you might be replenished with plenteous spirit and knowledge of the great glory and riches, which is given us in Christ to the intent you might be altered in the sense of your mind to a new man. And profusely forsake the vain fruition of this earthly world, and to embrace the glorious vocation which we called to in Christ. The which I think is hard for you and us all to do. The sense of our flesh is so strong. The tempting spirit is so ready.

Nevertheless insomuch yet it is our parts with mutual conferring one to exhort an other. And also for the brotherly affection I bear to you ward, I cannot nor aught not I suppose, but some thing I say as concerning your spiritual edification. And because you shall not take my exhortations which be but of feeble weight, for you to stick unto, here I have translated and sent to you a fruitful adoration of a famous Christian I, Oecolampadius, desiring you to accept well in worth this labour bestowed, and also to give diligent reding to his precepts whose institutions if you will attently mark and peruse. I doubt nothing, but you shall receive no small fruit thereat, being sufficiently instructed in all things you shall desire. The living grace of Christ be with you. So be it.

For the reference, see Johann Oecolampadius’s exhortation to John Foxe.

Does anyone know if there is much by way of surviving, printed correspondence between Johann Oecolampadius and the English Reformers (translated into English, of course)? Or is it all still in Latin and German? @Charles Johnson

I can ask Dr. David Noe today. He is behind the translations of Beza's treatise on the Lord's Supper and Junius's True Theology, amongst other works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back