Johannes Brahms

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Clarinet Sonata Op.120, No.2 in E flat, 1st movement: Allegro amabile:

[video=youtube;wCe7r7ErI58]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCe7r7ErI58[/video]

He wrote all his clarinet works after his retirement, the clarinetist Mühlfeld inspired him so much by his beautiful playing that Brahms got out from being at ease and wrote a clarinet trio in a minor, 2 clarinet sonatas and the clarinet quintet. These clarinet works are beautiful.

Max Bruch a contemporary of Brahms wrote 8 pieces for Clarinet, Viola and Cello that I highly recommend along with the clarinet pieces by Brahms. Mozart also wrote some clarinet works that are the standard and the beginning of all subsequent clarinet works. Mozart is also highly recommend to see the beginning and the initial serious writing for the clarinet.

He wrote all his clarinet works after his retirement, the clarinetist Mühlfeld inspired him so much by his beautiful playing that Brahms got out from being at ease and wrote a clarinet trio in a minor, 2 clarinet sonatas and the clarinet quintet. These clarinet works are beautiful.

Max Bruch a contemporary of Brahms wrote 8 pieces for Clarinet, Viola and Cello that I highly recommend along with the clarinet pieces by Brahms. Mozart also wrote some clarinet works that are the standard and the beginning of all subsequent clarinet works. Mozart is also highly recommend to see the beginning and the initial serious writing for the clarinet.

Thanks, Keon. I've developed an interest in the clarinet recently, and this is helpful to know. :)

Andrew I have the following cds in my collection and I highly recommend them.
This is Bruch. This cd has all of Bruch's works for the Clarinet and a very cheap price.
Amazon.com: Bruch: Works for Clarinet & Viola: Paul Meyer, Max Bruch, Kent Nagano, Lyon Opera Orchestra, Francois-Rene Duchable, Gerard Causse: Music

The following I would only recommend for the Brahms Trio, this group of great musicians severely butchered the Beethoven Trio and the Mozart Trio but they played the Brahms excellently.
Amazon.com: Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart: Trios for Piano, Clarinet & Cello: Alexander Heller, Yo-Yo Ma, Richard Stoltzman, Ludwig van Beethoven, Johannes Brahms, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Emanuel Ax: Music

The Beaux Arts Trio have the best recording of the Mozart Clarinet Trio. It can be found on this double cd that also has all of Mozart's piano trios.
Amazon.com: Mozart: The Complete Piano Trios: Bernard Greenhouse, Jack Brymer, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Beaux Arts Trio, Menahem Pressler, Stephen Bishop Kovacevich, Patrick Ireland, Daniel Guilet: Music

The best clarinet quintet recording of Mozart is this cheap gem from Naxos.
Amazon.com: Mozart: Clarinet Quintet, K. 581; Clarinet Quartet, K 374f: Bela Kovacs, Jozsef Balogh, Jozsef Balough, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Danubius String Quartet: Music

The following is the best rendition of Brahms Clarinet QUintet that I've heard.
Amazon.com: Brahms: String Quintet in F major, Op. 88; Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115: Brandis Quartet, Karl Leister, Johannes Brahms, Wolfgang Boettcher, Brett Dean, Wilfred Strehle, Peter Brem, Thomas Brandis: Music

ps. My recording of Mozart's clarinet concerto is on the now defunct excelsior label.

Here is a sample of Bruch's clarinet pieces. Keep in mind Bruch was a staunch admirer of Brahms and always tried to imitate him to no end. There is a piano trio in A major which many accredit to Brahms (posthumously) but it is really Bruch in his mimicry of Brahms. Anyway sample this soulful piece and compare it to the one you posted.

YouTube - Bruch, Eight Pieces - Nachtgesang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back