John 19:17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello everyone, it's been quite some time since my last post. I've been taking a bit of a hiatus from the interwebz for various reasons for a while, but admittedly I did pop in every once in a while to read some of the threads.

I recently started learning Koine Greek through Mounce's book. I have a question for those much more learned in this language than I:

"And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha" - (KJV)

"and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called The Place of a Skull, which in Aramaic is called Golgotha" - (ESV)

I'm seeing the Greek word Ἑβραϊστὶ (Hebraisti) in this passage as being translated as 'Hebrew' in the KJV and as "Aramaic' in the ESV. Why the difference?

I use the Blue Letter Bible classic website (http://www.blbclassic.org/) for my study tools. Not knowing Greek I wondered if your question would be responsive to regular study tool methods. For example, when I do a word study I ask myself questions like:

Where is the lexicon entry for the Greek word?
http://www.blbclassic.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1447&t=KJV

What is the definition?

Is this same Greek word used in different places? (This can provide meaning by context if the definition is not specific enough.)

In this case the Greek word occurs in 6 verses. In 5 of those verses it is specifically referring to another word in a different language. Those words could then be also looked up in the Greek lexicon. This might help to whether or not your word only means Hebrew or might be referring to a different language or dialect.​

Is the English word "Hebrew" used in other NT verses not covered so far? If so, what are the underlying Greek words and lexicon entries in those places?
http://www.blbclassic.org/search/translationResults.cfm?criteria=hebrew&csr=9&sstr=1&t=KJV

In this case the English word "Hebrew" occurs 11 times in the New Testament coming from 4 different Greek words. Those will all have lexicon entries. (One is the same one you mentioned.)​

This kind of information gathering can lead to answering your question.

Thanks Keith. I've bookmarked that site. Looks like a very useful tool.

Greg, the languages of Aramaic and Hebrew are extremely close to each other. My professor told me that Aramaic was simply "Hebrew with an attitude." The question then revolves around whether "hebraisti" should be interpreted etymologically ("Hebrew") or sociologically (the language of the Hebrew people, which at the time was Aramaic). Since the Hebrew people were speaking Aramaic at the time, it seems that John's note is far more likely to be referring to Aramaic than to Hebrew.

Thanks Keith. I've bookmarked that site. Looks like a very useful tool.
Greg, if you are not already aware of it there is a standalone software tool called "Interlinear Scripture Analyzer" which might be interesting. It gives complete parsing information, and many kinds of searches including searching actual Greek words instead of just root word searches (based on Strong's numbers). My friend who went to seminary and learned Greek says this is what he uses. ISA3 uses their own Greek text and English translation. ISA2 uses Scrivener's TR and the KJV. I use ISA2. Even though I don't read Greek I still find it a useful tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back