John 6:44: Who is raised up on the last day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filter

Puritan Board Freshman
John 6:44 - No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Is Jesus saying that all of those who are drawn by the Father will be raised on the last day (thus only the elect are drawn), or is the 'him' who is raised up referring to anyone (thus the drawing is universal and the invitation to be raised up is for all)?

This is part of an overall greater portion of the passage talking about who will and who will not come to Christ. Only those granted by the Father will come. This is a great example of Sovereign Election and it comes from the teaching of the Savior Himself. Further, it shows 37 that all those who are given will come demonstrating irresistible grace.

But yes, verse 44, the ones being raised up on the last day are the elect, those chosen by the Father to give to the Son.

And I will raise him up on the last day.

I would add that the cultural context of that era would always utilize the masculine to refer to humanity. But humanity would only come if they are drawn by the father. So you shouldn't think that he is referring to himself with the pronoun him. If it truly was himself he would have phrased the wording differently. In addition to that, if you break down the greek...

44 οὐδεὶς δύναται ἐλθεῖν πρός ⸀με ἐὰν μὴ ὁ πατὴρ ⸆ ὁ πέμψας με ἑλκύσῃ αὐτόν,* κἀγὼ ἀναστήσω αὐτὸν °ἐν τῇ ἐσχάτῃ ἡμέρᾳ.

Daily Dose of Greek does a good job explaining here... Daily Dose of Greek - John 6:44

The final portion is a great statement because it says that "I will raise him". You can't get past the fact that Jesus is making a claim of divinity here. There is a saying that if the bible was the ocean and you took a cup of ocean water out you would notice that salt is pervasive throughout. It's just as pervasive in the same way that Jesus' divinity is pervasive in the scriptures. So Jesus saying I will raise can only be talking about the ones who are drawn by the father.

The context goes back to v.25 when Jesus gets off the boat and the multitudes seek him for the bread alone. They are not seeking him because they believe in him. He explains He is the bread of life and in v.30 they ask him to do works so they may believe. Jesus declares he has already yet they do not believe. Then he goes on to teach why some believe and some don't. It is not because some are smarter than others. It is because all are born dead in sins, and none will believe in or seek God apart from his electing grace and regeneration.
But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out John 6:36-37
The whoever is not another group in addition from the elect. It is the general good faith call of the gospel, whoever wills let him come. Who will come? Those given to him by the Father. The whoever are those given to him by the Father.

All given to him will come and will be preserved unto the last day.
Earlier in the chapter Jesus declares the unified Triune purpose of the plan of redemption. He came not to do his own will but the will of the Father. Meaning there was a unified Triune purpose to redeem a people. It isnt left to chance or the will of man, but of God. The Father gave a people to the Son. The Son came to earth as the second Adam to obey the law perfectly for them and then die perfectly for their sins, to impute perfect righteousness and forgiveness to them. The Spirit effectually calls them and seals them unto the day of redemption. The Triune God has had a plan from eternity past to redeem a people for all eternity. Jesus doesnt say there are ever more than those given to him by the Father he came to save. We dont know who the elect are so the general call of the gospel goes out to all in sincerity. Whoever will let him come. Who wills? The elect by God's grace.

Jesus in John 10 also addresses why some believe and some dont. He also says those who do are the elect who will never perish.

John 10:25ff
Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. John 10:25-28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back