John Brown on the focus of preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern Presbyterian

Puritan Board Doctor
Let a man preach with the greatest ability and zeal everything in the Bible but the Cross, he shall, as to the great end of preaching, preach in vain. While, on the other hand, the honest preaching of the Cross -- though in great weakness, and even when accompanied with great deficiencies as to a full declaration of the counsel of God on some other subjects -- has usually been accompanied with the divine blessing. The doctrine of the atonement ought not to be the sole theme of the Christian ministry, but every doctrine, and every precept, of Christianity should be exhibited in their connection with this great master principle; and the leading object of the preacher should be to keep the mind and the heart of his hearers steadily fixed on Christ Jesus -- Christ Jesus crucified.

-- John Brown, D. D., An Exposition of The Epistle of Paul The Apostle to The Galatians, Banner of Truth, 2001, p. 370.

James,
Don't you just love the way John Brown writes? Have you read any of his other works?
A JB fan,
Jim

James,
Don't you just love the way John Brown writes? Have you read any of his other works?
A JB fan,
Jim

Jim,

Yes, I greatly appreciate his writing. He speaks from a pastor's heart. I've only read and just now finished his commentary on Galatians, but would love to read his other works. Do you have suggestions?

Blessings,

James,
I recommend them all! His commentaries on Hebrews and Romans are excellent. His two volume commentary on 1Peter is equally rich. He has a short commentary on Isa.53 which is good. I've only read about one fourth of his "Discourses and Sayings of Our Lord" which is good as well. My favorites are his Galatians, Romans and Hebrews commentaries. I plan to read them several times before the Lord takes me home, God willing!
Happy reading!
Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back