John Calvin’s Farewell Address to the Genevan City Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
[April 27, 1564]​
Honored Lords, - I thank you exceedingly for having conferred so many honors on one who plainly deserved nothing of the kind, and for having so often borne patiently with my very numerous infirmities… And though in the discharge of my duty I have had various battles to fight, and various insults to endure,.. I know and acknowledge that none of these things happened through your fault, and I earnestly entreat you that if, in anything, I have not done as I ought, you will attribute it to the want of ability rather than of will; for I can truly declare that I have sincerely studied the interest of your Republic. Though I have not discharged my duty fully, I have always, to the best of my ability, consulted for the public good; and did I not acknowledge that the Lord, on His part, hath sometimes made my labors profitable, I should lay myself open to a charge of faithlessness.​
But this I beg of you, again and again, that you will be pleased to excuse me for having performed so little in public and in private, compared with what I ought to have done. I also certainly acknowledge, that on another account also I am highly indebted to you, by virtue of your having borne patiently with my vehemence, which was sometimes carried to excess. My sins, in this respect, I trust, have been pardoned by God also. But in regard to the doctrine which I have delivered in your hearing, I declare that the Word of God, entrusted to me, I have taught, not rashly nor uncertainly, but purely and sincerely; as well knowing that His wrath was otherwise impending on my head, as I am certain that my labors in teaching were not displeasing to Him. [...]​
[John Dillenberger, John Calvin: Selections from His Writings, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1975), 38]​

Everything I read from Calvin just makes me think I love this man. It's always so amazing to me that we have so much writing from a man who was used by God in such a huge way for His Church. His intellect astounds me, of course, but his character bleeds through everything he writes as well. He's so honest and clear, and so often helpful. I have his Commentary set in my office and I love to joke with my wife that I'm "going downstairs to ask John a question."

I've always liked Philip Schaff's tribute to Calvin:

[...] Calvin’s intellectual endowments were of the very highest order and thoroughly disciplined: a retentive memory, quick perception, acute understanding, penetrating reason, sound judgment, complete command of language… He was not equal to Augustine and Luther as a creative genius and originator of new ideas, but he surpassed them both and all his contemporaries as a scholar, as a polished and eloquent writer, as a systematic and logical thinker, and as an organizer...​
His talents, we may say, rose to the full height of genius. His mind was cast in the mould of Paul, not in that of John, having no mystic vein... He never forgot anything pertaining to his duty; he recognized persons whom he had but once seen many years previously. He spoke very much as he wrote, with clearness, precision, purity, and force, and equally well in Latin and French. He never wrote a dull line… His advice was always sound and useful. His eloquence was logic set on fire.​
Riches and honors had no charms for him. He soared far above filthy lucre and worldly ambition. His only ambition was that pure and holy ambition to serve God to the best of his ability. He steadily refused an increase of salary, and frequently also presents of every description, except for the poor and the refugees, whom he always had at heart, and aided to the extent of his means.​
His moral and religious character was grounded in the fear of God, which is “the beginning of wisdom.” Sometimes severe against others, he was most severe against himself… His symbol was a hand offering the sacrifice of a burning heart to God. His constant and sole aim was the glory of God, and the reformation of the Church.​
[P. Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 2, Ch. 18, §166]​
_____________________________________________________________​
The heart-in-hand imprint Calvin used to seal his letters (1645-64), and a commemorative medallion from the mid 1600's.​
f14f6243-0777-478f-b2aa-c93df9d2c450.jpg
220px-Fotothek_df_tg_0004081_M%C3%BCnze_%5E_Gedenkm%C3%BCnze_%5E_Schaum%C3%BCnze_%5E_Medaille.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back