John Calvin on Evils of Polygamy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that a quote by John Calvin espousing the confessional Reformed view of polygamy has garnered so much disapproval on the PuritanBoard of all places. The Westminster Divines obviously agreed with Calvin's interpretation of Malachi 2:14-15 because they cite it as a proof for the underlined clause in the Larger Catechism.

Westminster Confessions of Faith:
Marriage is to be between one man and one woman: neither is it lawful for any man to have more than one wife, nor for any woman to have more than one husband, at the same time (Gen. 2:24, Matt. 19:5–6, Prov. 2:17).—WCF 24.1, LBCF 25.1

Westminster Larger Catechism:
Q. 139. What are the sins forbidden in the seventh commandment?
A.
The sins forbidden in the seventh commandment, besides the neglect of the duties required, are, adultery, fornication, rape, incest, sodomy, and all unnatural lusts; all unclean imaginations, thoughts, purposes, and affections; all corrupt or filthy communications, or listening thereunto; wanton looks, impudent or light behavior, immodest apparel; prohibiting of lawful, and dispensing with unlawful marriages; allowing, tolerating, keeping of stews, and resorting to them; entangling vows of single life, undue delay of marriage; having more wives or husbands than one at the same time; unjust divorce, or desertion; idleness, gluttony, drunkenness, unchaste company; lascivious songs, books, pictures, dancings, stage plays; and all other provocations to, or acts of uncleanness, either in ourselves or others.

Calvin and the Westminster Assembly: "Polygamy is obviously sinful."
PurtanBoard 2021: "It's no big deal!"

:scratch::scratch::scratch:
??

I think you’re reading what you want to read. Is polygamy sinful? Yes. There, I agree with the historic Christian - not just Reformed - position.

BUT.

This wasn’t about “is polygamy sinful.” It was about whether it is MORE sinful than something else. That is what is being addressed.

I find it funny that a quote by John Calvin espousing the confessional Reformed view of polygamy has garnered so much disapproval on the PuritanBoard of all places. The Westminster Divines obviously agreed with Calvin's interpretation of Malachi 2:14-15 because they cite it as a proof for the underlined clause in the Larger Catechism.

Westminster Confessions of Faith:
Marriage is to be between one man and one woman: neither is it lawful for any man to have more than one wife, nor for any woman to have more than one husband, at the same time (Gen. 2:24, Matt. 19:5–6, Prov. 2:17).—WCF 24.1, LBCF 25.1

Westminster Larger Catechism:
Q. 139. What are the sins forbidden in the seventh commandment?
A.
The sins forbidden in the seventh commandment, besides the neglect of the duties required, are, adultery, fornication, rape, incest, sodomy, and all unnatural lusts; all unclean imaginations, thoughts, purposes, and affections; all corrupt or filthy communications, or listening thereunto; wanton looks, impudent or light behavior, immodest apparel; prohibiting of lawful, and dispensing with unlawful marriages; allowing, tolerating, keeping of stews, and resorting to them; entangling vows of single life, undue delay of marriage; having more wives or husbands than one at the same time; unjust divorce, or desertion; idleness, gluttony, drunkenness, unchaste company; lascivious songs, books, pictures, dancings, stage plays; and all other provocations to, or acts of uncleanness, either in ourselves or others.
You are equivocating. Nobody is defending polygamy. We all say both are not ideal. We only challenge the assertion that polygamy is worse. There is NO "confessional" view that demands we say polygamy is worse than divorce, no matter what Calvin says on the matter. God tolerated polygamy for a time the same as he did slavery, and even demanded it in the case of Levirate marriages to guarantee the continuation of bloodlines. God speaks more harshly about divorce, and yet even provides several provisions for that lawfully as well.

God tolerated polygamy for a time the same as he did slavery, and even demanded it in the case of Levirate marriages to guarantee the continuation of bloodlines.

Interesting. From my studies, I find that OT slavery condoned in Exodus was more in line with indentured servitude and not at all chattel slavery like in antebellum pre-Civil War South. But I am unsure of my memory on that (it's been a long time since Bible college and I went into secular workforce).

Also, I personally find levirate marriages to be fascinating theoretically and horrifying in reality.

Not only do I never wish my brother harm nor death (may he live as long or longer than me) but I would be a most miserable person if I had to marry his widow. Why so downcast O my soul? It would be very hard to trust in God. Thank God for the removal of the Law in Christ!

Interesting. From my studies, I find that OT slavery condoned in Exodus was more in line with indentured servitude and not at all chattel slavery like in antebellum pre-Civil War South. But I am unsure of my memory on that (it's been a long time since Bible college and I went into secular workforce).

Also, I personally find levirate marriages to be fascinating theoretically and horrifying in reality.

Not only do I never wish my brother harm nor death (may he live as long or longer than me) but I would be a most miserable person if I had to marry his widow. Why so downcast O my soul? It would be very hard to trust in God. Thank God for the removal of the Law in Christ!
Yes, I agree with you on slavery. There is no way the OT can be leveraged to condone the chattel slavery as practiced in the American South, especially since it only targeted the sons of Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back