John Calvin on Repentance

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
"œ[Repentance is] a true conversion of our life to God, proceeding from a sincere and serious fear of God, and consisting in the mortification or our flesh and of the old man, and in the vivification of the Spirit" "“ Institutes, III:III.5.

"œThe two branches of true penitence "“ the mortification of the flesh, and the vivification of the spirit" "“ Institutes, III.III.8.

"œRepentance is nothing else but a reformation of the whole life according to the Law of God" "“ Hosea Commentary, 432.

"œTrue repentance is firm and constant, and makes us war with the evil that is in us, not for a day or a week, but without end and without intermission" "“ Short Treatise on the Supper of Our Lord in Tracts, II.178.

"œRepentance does not consist in one or two works, but in perseverance" "“ Daniel Commentary, I:236.

"œThe faithful ought throughout their whole life to repent"¦ for we must ever contend with the flesh" "“ Jonah-Nahum Commentary, 104.

"œThe exercise of repentance ought to be uninterrupted throughout our whole life" "“ Synoptic Gospels Commentary, II:341

Great quotes, Chris.

I was wondering -- I have a recollection of another quote by Calvin to the effect that "the primary purpose of preaching is to bring sinners to repentance." I don't know the source or if my recollection is correct. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back