John Durant on the loving commands of the king of saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Secondly, Christ layeth all his commands in a way of love; that which he biddeth believers do (who are under his command) it is in a loving way: As the command is, so is the manner of its imposing, i. e. sweet and loving. It is possible, that a sweet thing may be enjoined in a harsh way: An easy commandment in it self may be burthensome in the way of its imposal. To command with a bended fist, and a frowning forehead, is not to command in a loving way: but now Jesus Christ, when ever he commandeth, he commandeth sweetly, and smilingly: he doth not lift up his voice, and cry (as some understand that place) Esa. 42. v. 2. He doth not speak in an austere, rough, rugged manner: But as the Lord is, so is his language, loving. Observe with what love he layeth his commands on believers; You are my friends, if you do whatsoever I command you, Joh. 15 14. He doth not threaten, and say, I will be your Foe, if you will not obey; but if you do, you shall be my Friends. And so again, If you love me, keep my Commandments.

It is worth the noting, that grace may be said to come in this respect by Christ: He gave not his Law (as Moses did) with thundering and lightning, in a dreadful manner; But he gave the Law to his Disciples himself, in a sweet and loving way. He beginneth his Sermons, with Blessed are ye: And all his commands drop from him like the drops of dew upon the tender grass; He shall come down (saith the Psalmist, Psal. 72. v. 6.) like rain upon the mown grass, as showers that water the earth, i. e. He shall come down, both softly and sweetly; this is spoke of Christ's coming as a King; so that you may see the transcendency of Christ's love unto you, in the manner in which he layeth his Commandments on you.

For more, see John Durant on the loving commands of the king of saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back