John Eadie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Barcellos

Puritan Board Freshman
John Eadie is my favorite commentator on Paul. His commentaries are being put back into circulation at http://solid-ground-books.com/books_PrePublicationSpecialOffers.asp (scroll down and keep looking). Here is my rec. for his commentaries:

I am very excited to see Eadie's commentaries back in print through SGCB! Over the years, in preparation for preaching, I have worked my way through Eadie's Colossians and Ephesians, and am now almost finished with chapter one of Philippians. I also read several contemporary commentaries at the same time. I am astounded at the fact that almost without fail, Eadie discusses all the relevant syntactical and theological issues of the text with a freshness that penetrates into today's theological and ecclesiastical scene. When someone asks me about commentaries on Paul's epistles, without hesitation, I recommend Eadie first. His commentaries are both academically and spiritually stimulating and enriching. They have a heavenly scent about them while yet dealing with the technical issues of the Greek text. Get Eadie now if you don't have him.

Dear Richard,

I also saw this offer of John A. Eadie SGB. But i was wondering do you think that persons like me who don't read greek still can valuable these works ? because i read through a review (on amazon) that you can not read greek than these works are not for you. So iam very interessting to order it, but if it is to academic on the greek as a requerment to read it, than i will not order it. So what do you think ?

A level of Greek is necessary to benefit most from Eadie. But with all the biblical language software available these days one could get by with using helps along the way. I recommend Eadie for all pastors and the very studious layman.

Ralph,

I know very little greek, but I have found Eadie's to be hands down the most useful commentaries on my shelf. He deals extensively with the greek, but also explains what the greek means in very understandable terms.

I read the same review on Amazon, and honestly wondered what that guy was reading, because what he said didn't apply to Eadie. The other review on Amazon, the one that says "if it takes mortgaging your house to get Eadie, do it!" is far more accurate, even for those who don't know the greek.

Eadie requires serious study, and as Rich said, you will get more out of him if you know Greek, but even if you don't, he's still the best commentator I have found.

FYI, you can sample some of Eadie's work online,
HERE

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by Philip A]

Ralph,

I ordered everything I don't have already, which for me was Galatians, Ephesians, and Paul's Discourses, and no, I have not yet read any of those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back