John Foxe - a particular edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
My family and I were worshipping in Rochester, MN at Trinity Presbyterian Church (PCA) and on their book table they had an edition of Foxe's book of Martyrs that I've never seen before - it was a decently bound paperback with an image of a red seal on the front cover (like a king's wax seal). I checked the publisher, and now for the life of me I can't recall who it was, except that (I think) it was "Lost" something. Not Lost Manuscripts, or Lost Classics, but I'm fairly certain it was "Lost" something. Anyone have ANY clue what the publisher might be? I would like to pick up a copy, but I really don't like the Forbush abridgement, and there's nobody that seems to have the unabridged 8 volumes... This one from the few pages I leafed through looked quite good, but I am unable to track it down online.

Todd

Funny how the mind works. Lost - forgotten.

Good catch, Jim.

Todd: What was your impression of Trinity? The sermon, etc.?

Funny how the mind works. Lost - forgotten.

Good catch, Jim.

HA! Yes, that's it. Well that's dumb! What a great study in brain function ;)
Unfortunately now that I've seen it on Amazon, I probably won't be getting it... looks like it's
another modernized abridgement with a very large portion of the printed material being added stuff after Foxe's death (in this case up to the 1800s) and also including accounts of John Calvin and Martin Luther, which seems strange if they're marketing this as Foxe's work... oh well. I guess sticking to the original is too much to ask?

Todd: What was your impression of Trinity? The sermon, etc.?

We had been there for an evening service a couple weeks ago and heard an excellent sermon by their associate pastor on Romans 7:14-25; yesterday we had one by Chris Harper on Daniel, chapter 1, treating the difficult situation of Daniel in Babylon, and tying it to Christ's prayer in John 17 and the 'in the world' vs 'out of the world' distinctions. I guess Chris is just starting a series of expositions that he's just starting. We enjoyed good and edifying worship and fellowship with the brethren there. Happened to catch them on a day when they had a fellowship meal between the morning and evening services, which was a welcome providence. :)

I've been on the lookout for a good un-tampered-with edition of Foxe ever since I understood what he was to former generations of believers (it seems the only things many read were the Bible, the Pilgrim's Progress and Foxe's Martyrs)
It's not that it's necessarily a bad thing to add in later characters, I don't think - but it's often hard to tell exactly what you're getting.
Please post it, if you find a good version!

I've been on the lookout for a good un-tampered-with edition of Foxe ever since I understood what he was to former generations of believers (it seems the only things many read were the Bible, the Pilgrim's Progress and Foxe's Martyrs)
It's not that it's necessarily a bad thing to add in later characters, I don't think - but it's often hard to tell exactly what you're getting.
Please post it, if you find a good version!

Hi Jenny -

One nice site I have found online is this one - which is a critical collection of transcribed manuscripts from Foxe, (so you're getting the whole kielbasa) but I do really want it in hard copy. I'm with you on the importance of Foxe to former generations, and that motivates my own search for it, to be sure.

todd

Thanks for that, Todd - like you, I'm really hoping for it in a form I can store in my bedside book cupboard, but I'll be on that site for sure.

Thanks for that, Todd - like you, I'm really hoping for it in a form I can store in my bedside book cupboard, but I'll be on that site for sure.

Well, all a publisher has to do is look at the two of us. If they reprinted the full Acts & Monuments in a 'real-honest-to-goodness-book-format' they'd have two quick sales. Isn't two guaranteed sales enough? :)

Well, all a publisher has to do is look at the two of us. If they reprinted the full Acts & Monuments in a 'real-honest-to-goodness-book-format' they'd have two quick sales. Isn't two guaranteed sales enough? :)
hahaha - tell all the publishers you know!

I looked into the possibility of reprinting the entire 19th century edition in 8 very large volumes, polled the bookstores with whom I did business, and was asssured of having all of 40 sets ordered. Since you need to print 1,000 copies to get a decent price break, it just wasn't feasible.

Eight large volumes it's true sounds a bit daunting. And that was the nineteenth C edition - then I wonder what exactly the one volume was that I've read of being kept fastened to the pulpit in old English churches?

Hi Jenny -

One nice site I have found online is this one - which is a critical collection of transcribed manuscripts from Foxe, (so you're getting the whole kielbasa) but I do really want it in hard copy. I'm with you on the importance of Foxe to former generations, and that motivates my own search for it, to be sure.

todd

The woodcuts are sobering, especially after having read the works of the men being burned.

By the way, if you want to review the abridged edition of Foxe you were talking about, you can read the whole thing online for free here: Foxe on Google Books. Thanks for the link to the whole thing!

The original edition, if memory serves me correctly, was 3 VERY large folio volumes. The 8 volume 19th century reprint is complete. All the subsequent one volume editions are highly abridged and have been added unto to cover material since Foxe died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back