John Foxe on the election of grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Even so in administering the functions of the Church, if we seek for the original cause of the workman, by whose conduct, all inferior causes are induced to observe their due order and course: the same must be adjudged to proceed from the force and efficacy of the unmeasurable election of the heavenly workman only, who by wonderful dispensation, maketh choice where him liketh, and refuseth whom him lusteth, according to the testimony of the Scripture: I will take compassion on whom I will take compassion, and I will shew mercy to whom I will shew mercy. Whereunto accordeth Saint Paul speaking after the same manner: It is neither the willer, nor the runner, but God that taketh compassion.

Where fortune, and chance, may go play them perdie: no endeavours of man can avail, much less can men’s merits or deservings be of any force, neither can ought else bear palm here, but the only election of almighty God. The nature and property of which election, we may learn elsewhere out of the same Paul: The remnant (sayeth he) are saved through the election of grace, which grace cannot be said to be grace at all, if man’s merits have pre-eminence before it for that which is given according to the proportion of deservings, and not according to grace, seemeth in Augustine’s judgment, a reward rather of duty, then a free gift of promise. But a question may be moved here perhaps, whether the Gentiles were not engrafted for their faith’s sake? and whether the Jews were not supplanted from the true Olive for their unbelief? which interchanged dispensation, what else doeth it explain unto us, then a manifest demonstration as well of the meritorious desert, as well of faith, as of unbelief? ...

For more, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back