John Gawen’s dedication to his translation of Lucas Trelcatius’s A brief institution of the common places of sacred divinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
HAVING finished (Right Worshipful,) the Translation of this Logical, and Theological Treatise; I thought good, both for the patronizing of the Book, and the Testimony of my duty, to offer the Dedication of the same unto your Worshipper: for the former cause, that as the Author himself, dedicated this Book at first to such persons, as were for authority able, and for Religion zealous to protect the same; so I the unworthy Translator of so worthy an Author, made bold to make choice of your Worship, being for authority in your place, no less eminent, and for zeal to Religion no worse affected, To the end it may be shielded by your Patronage, from the mouths of the malignant; not in regard of my labour herein, (which as it is but small, if either the quantity of the Book, or the Authors own Industry be considered; so it is not without imperfections, which notwithstanding, I hope the discreet, with favourable Connivence will pass over, considering the difficulty of Translation in this succinct and Logical kind of writing, and the penury of our English Language in the Terms of Art;) but in respect of the matter it self, which being so worthy, for Gods cause deserveth, and so profitable for the Churches sake, desireth your favourable countenance. ...

For more, see John Gawen’s dedication to his translation of Lucas Trelcatius’s A brief institution of the common places of sacred divinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back