John Huss's Declaration of What the "Church" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NB3K

Puritan Board Sophomore
Earlier today I was reading about John Huss from Schaff's 6th vol. of his "History of The Christian Church". As I was reading about Huss and his contending for the faith against the RCC, I came to his declaration of what the Church is and what it is not.

Schaff writes,

The Holy Catholic Church is the body or congregation of all the predestinate, the dead, the living and those yet to be. The term ’catholic’ means universal. The unity of the Church is a unity of predestination and of blessedness, a unity of faith, charity and grace. The Roman pontiff and the cardinals are not the Church.[Schaff,History of The Christian Church,vol. 6, pp.368]

I have not read much about Huss. I am just getting in to the pre-reformers. I am amazed to see that the "so-called" calvinism is not at all calvinism, but the Truth once delivered to the Saints from the Prophets & Apostles! I find great encouragment from reading about bold men that proclaimed the truth in and against the opposition of their wicked and depraved age.

Jason,

We have no idea what it was like to buck the RCC in those days. Can you imagine today if we had a universal visible church that would put you to death for being disloyal to their system? Not just any death but horrible deaths. I don't want to know how I would stand up against something that evil. I hope I could be strong, but I just really don't know. I think we are starting to see persecution rise in Europe and Canada for speaking up for Truth. I have a Pastor friend in Canada and he says it is getting more dangerous all the time.

Just start teaching what Faith is and what Faith is not. For example:

Faith in Christ is believing that you are a child of God, chosen in Christ before the foundations of the world, and that Christ was crushed by our Heavenly Father for our sins and raised for our justification.

Faith IS not choosing Christ at an altar call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back