John MacArthur and John Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started reading Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. I *love* it and the message it conveys. I'm still waiting on my copy of Fool's Gold to arrive (but I know people who have gotten theirs and told me it was GREAT).

I have just gotten "Fool's Gold" and I'm looking forward to reading it. I've read only the introduction thus far.

Has anyone read MacArthur's "Book of Leadership"?

Originally posted by OS_X
I just started reading Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. I *love* it and the message it conveys. I'm still waiting on my copy of Fool's Gold to arrive (but I know people who have gotten theirs and told me it was GREAT).

I am that people!!:banana:

Its a great book. I'll go so far as to say it will be one of the more important books of the next few years.

Well....

Got mine in the mail yesterday. :banana: Read through the chapter on contemporary worship music this morning. MacArthur's cool here.... Adam, you might wanna pick this up. MacArthur's all about content, not style (though he doesn't believe the music should be boring and stale and dull either....). Some of the other authors in the book (all staff from Grace Community Church) tackle stuff like Wild At Heart, Phil Johson takes on N.T. Wright and there's an article on the Purpose Drivel Life.

Good stuff. GREAT stuff.

By the way Redeemed - race you to 470 posts :lol:

[Edited on 5-7-2005 by OS_X]

ditto everyone who mentioned the gospe acoording to Jesus....beautifully brutal stuff....Must Read

Jesus is indeed LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
:book2:

Piper's "new" book; "When I don't Desire God" is quite good.

I like both Piper and MacArthur, I perfer Piper but thats jsut me, and have read quite a bit by both. I would agree that Piper's "Justification of God" is wonderful and if your going to use Romans 9 in a discussion on Election you should be framilar with it. MacArthur's "Ashamed of the Gospel" is my favorite book by him that I have read. His "Charasmatic Chaos" was good too but I felt it delt a bit too much with the fringe groups of the movment and not enough with the doctrine behind it the average charasmatic group.

Bryan
SDG

Originally posted by Bladestunner316
From people who have read and studied their works what would you suggest would be top priority to read from these men?

blade

I'm going back into the 80's with this one. MacArthur's, "The Gospel According to Jesus" certainly whipped the flames of the Lordship Salvation controversy into a heated frenzy. As a result he was castigated and blackballed by many within his circle of evangelicalism. At the time I was a student at Word of Life Bible Institute in Pottersville, NY (a good Armenian institution). After the publishing of T.G.A.J., MacArthur was no longer allowed to teach at W.O.L.B.I. Although MacArthur has written more scholarly works since T.G.A.J., In my humble opinion it remains his most poignant work.

"Hard to believe" by MaCarthur is the book that made me search the net for believers who agreed with him. That's the day I found this place!

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
Originally posted by Bladestunner316
From people who have read and studied their works what would you suggest would be top priority to read from these men?

blade

I'm going back into the 80's with this one. MacArthur's, "The Gospel According to Jesus" certainly whipped the flames of the Lordship Salvation controversy into a heated frenzy. As a result he was castigated and blackballed by many within his circle of evangelicalism. At the time I was a student at Word of Life Bible Institute in Pottersville, NY (a good Armenian institution). After the publishing of T.G.A.J., MacArthur was no longer allowed to teach at W.O.L.B.I. Although MacArthur has written more scholarly works since T.G.A.J., In my humble opinion it remains his most poignant work.

That's right. Macarthur got into trouble for teaching that saved people should live like it. If you go to some german site--lebensquellen.something or other--and look for Packer's comments on Mac in that controversy. Quite funny.

Originally posted by houseparent
"Hard to believe" by MaCarthur is the book that made me search the net for believers who agreed with him. That's the day I found this place!

I am half way through with it right now.This is one of the best books I have ever read.It is so convicting.Which is a good thing.I will deffinately check more of his books out.

MacArthur and Piper are really good at teaching the typical layman. I found I used them more with introductory topics than with the deeper, more controversial ones.

I used to lead a Small group through my former nondenom/Seeker Sensitive church. The last study I used was Macarthur´s the Gospel According to Jesus. Unfortunately I resigned from leading small groups and began attending a PCA church before we finished this study, but we got through half the book and the main point. Most of the book is simply supporting the points made in the initial chapter. It is a good resource to guide people through important fundamentals, especially those people in the seeker friendly environments. Many are deceived and may be false converts because their churches do not want to offend them. A book like this will graciously hit them like a ton of bricks plus lead to other worthy theological discussions.

Originally posted by Bryan
His "Charasmatic Chaos" was good too but I felt it delt a bit too much with the fringe groups of the movment and not enough with the doctrine behind it the average charasmatic group.

I felt the same way with MacArthur´s Charismatic Chaos. He really concentrated on the extreme cases. I had to skip over much of the Third Wave chapter simply because he went on and on in describing what these churches do. I got it and didn´t need convinced and became disinterested. I too wish he focused more on the average charismatic group.

Piper's Brothers, We are not Professionals is a fine book for aspiring ministers. You won't agree with all of it, but there is some great stuff there.

Martin

I listen to both online at oneplace.com, but as for reading, my first realization of how important church fathers were, came from Piper's, The Legacy of Sovereign Joy. It this book he takes a look at the lives of Calvin, Augustine, and Luther. For a prospective minister, I would suggest the Pleasures of God. It rattled the card house of theology that I had lived in for decades.

JL Craven
Barbourville, KY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back