John MacArthurs teaching. Expository Or Dispensational???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what is the "either-or" implication of your question.

Are you convinced that the one (exposition of the text) and the other (dispensationalist hermeneutic) are contradictory in nature? In principle?

Perhaps if you offer a bit of your own impression of the situation you have in view, and then pose a question, others may find it easier to interact with the substance.

He is one of the most expository preachers I know, and very good at it. Many preachers would do well to learn from him. He also has some strong dispensational tendencies in certain areas.

I also find the question a bit confusing, and perhaps the body of the OP was deleted before I got here?

I have learned much from John MacArthur and have been very grateful for his steady exposition of the Bible over the years. However, as one confessing covenantal theology, I have also learned to read/listen with discernment due to his dispensationalism.

The question, as posed, is confusing. Hopefully Mr. Kratz will clarify matters.

Question (before editing) was, more or less, is John MacArthur more of an expositional preacher or dispensational preacher.

As Bruce noted, the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. An expository preacher is one who preaches on passages of the Bible, expositing what the text means using the tools of exegesis and theology. One of the things you learn, however, when you study exegesis is that theology informs exegesis. Considering a noun in the genitive case, for instance, one must determine the type of genitive it is and that can have some interesting theological variations within a passage. Context certainly helps but one's overarching systematic theology is bound to enter into to any exposition of the text. One obviously wants to check their overalll hermeneutic with Scripture but exegesis and systematics inevitably interact during the process of preparing an expository sermon.

That's a long way of saying that it's not that exposition fails to occur but the systematic "ground" that informs the exposition. I can listen to MacArthur with great profit at times but, at others, his hermeneutical differences take texts in directions I fundamentally disagree with.

Thank you all for taking the time to explain to me, as i am new to all of this. I find MacArthur to be edifying, and am learning a great deal. God bless you

Soli Deo Gloria,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back