John Michael Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Has anyone listen to his music ? Is it true he is a roman catholic ? I listen to a song of him called "would you crucified Him", which was awesome!

He is Roman Catholic, no doubt about it. He leads the "Brothers and Sisters of Charity", a monastic group in Arkansas.

Big time Roman Catholic but I've been a fan of his music since 1982. His rendition of Psalm 51 is incredible. Many of his songs are direct quotes from Scripture set to simply melodies.

On a musician note, that guy is an incredible guitar player. I saw he and Michael Card when they went on tour in 1996. It's amazing watching him play so effortlessly.

I found this album cover at the Catholic Music Network:
50615_l.jpg

Catchy title.

I use to enjoy listening to his music back in the 80s. Haven't listened to him lately, but he's (in my opinion) very good.

He does have two early solo folk/rock records prior to his more "classical" work. These mark his early conversion prior to catholicism. He also has an early folk/rock duet record with his brother Terry Talbot I believe called_"Born Again". Later, after becoming a monk he also did more duet work with Terry that is excellent (No Longer Strangers, The Painter-which are more folk oriented but a unique style to John). His early folk/rock style is good but I do really love his early work after he studied classical guitar and put out his first in this style_"Songs For Worship" and then on up to_"The Regathering". I am not fond of his later work generally after that which the exception of a song here and there.

Talbot has been very inspiring to me in my own guitar playing and have always enjoyed playing his songs and instrumental work. Shameless Plug: I have a couple very bad recordings in my Music category link on my blog. :D I have a better recording set up now but just haven't gotten around to it.

PS. Talbot was married at one time and I believe had a daughter as well. I read his biography long time ago!

Last edited:
Beth,

I believe he is still married.

When I have done music "specials" in Church, they are almost always Talbot songs. My favorite album he ever did was The Painter.

He divorced his first wife long ago. He got married in the monastery (with church permission) to a nun. They can do that you know. You would be amazed at how many married priest there are. BTW, he does have a daughter from the first wife.

He divorced his first wife long ago. He got married in the monastery (with church permission) to a nun. They can do that you know. You would be amazed at how many married priest there are. BTW, he does have a daughter from the first wife.

Oh, I see. I had no idea about that. Thanks for clarifying!

Have always loved his music. Very inspirational.

I wouldn't call him your typical Franciscan monk though.

His music contains much of value In my humble opinion.

He's more of a mystic than anything and that is what appeals to the protestant. Here is his version of his biography. He leaves out his first marriage but other than that it explains his 'journey' and vision. There is a picture of him and his present wife Viola there.

I mention his mysticism as the reason why his Roman Catholicism is tolerated by protestants. He's also a musical genius and that is the true appeal.

He's more of a mystic than anything and that is what appeals to the protestant. Here is his version of his biography. He leaves out his first marriage but other than that it explains his 'journey' and vision. There is a picture of him and his present wife Viola there.

I mention his mysticism as the reason why his Roman Catholicism is tolerated by protestants. He's also a musical genius and that is the true appeal.

Bob, could you explain why you think his mysticism appeals to Protestants?

In his case what I mean by that is he describes his 'faith' experience in very nebulous terms.

"I won't call it a visionary experience," Talbot maintains, "but I saw a Christ figure. I knew it was Jesus, and He made everything personalized for me."

His conversion initially led him into Fundamentalism and eventually to the Jesus Movement. He studied all Christian denominations and found that Catholicism spoke to his heart. "It wasn't just some vague yearning," he recalls. "I saw a life in Christ in harmony and in peace."

"I asked God what I was supposed to do," he explains, "and God said, 'Play your music and I will open and shut the doors'."

In spite of his saying that his faith was not a 'vague yearning' that is what he appeals to when he says the things he does. By avoiding doctrine and catechism and preaching the Word he keeps his appeal broad. God speaks to him and he shares his vision.

I'm not saying he's a bad man, I'm just saying that because he doesn't get too precise in his teaching he remains very popular to protestants. The Pope and the Puritan Board, on the other hand, see some very serious differences between protestants and Roman Catholics.

In his case what I mean by that is he describes his 'faith' experience in very nebulous terms.

"I won't call it a visionary experience," Talbot maintains, "but I saw a Christ figure. I knew it was Jesus, and He made everything personalized for me."

His conversion initially led him into Fundamentalism and eventually to the Jesus Movement. He studied all Christian denominations and found that Catholicism spoke to his heart. "It wasn't just some vague yearning," he recalls. "I saw a life in Christ in harmony and in peace."

"I asked God what I was supposed to do," he explains, "and God said, 'Play your music and I will open and shut the doors'."

In spite of his saying that his faith was not a 'vague yearning' that is what he appeals to when he says the things he does. By avoiding doctrine and catechism and preaching the Word he keeps his appeal broad. God speaks to him and he shares his vision.

I'm not saying he's a bad man, I'm just saying that because he doesn't get too precise in his teaching he remains very popular to protestants. The Pope and the Puritan Board, on the other hand, see some very serious differences between protestants and Roman Catholics.

I see what you mean. Thanks. :)

I met him about 10 years ago and told him how God used his music to help renew my mind. He asked me if I was a Catholic and I said no and it seemed to take him back. He is very Roman when it comes to the Church and the sacraments. He is actually from here. I use to go visit Alverna where He started his Catholic conversion I believe. He comes in Concert here often... My buddy Keith told me he is going to be in Concert here on Sept. 22nd at a Catholic Church on the North side of Indy. I love most of his music but I have very little stomach for his Roman Catholicism.

Talbot was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on May 8, 1954, so he's 53 now. He's recorded 50 albums since 1975. Busy boy...

That is interesting. The hypocrisy of Rome once again is exposed. :judge:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back