John Murray Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing that! I didn't know it existed. Not sure it will displace my commentary by Haldane... but it might.

Romans has always been my favorite book in Scripture.. I really enjoyed John Murray’s commentary. For any who haven’t read it I highly suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing with us! John Murray’s commentary on Romans was one of the first commentaries on Romans that I purchased. It was originally published in two volumes—Romans 1-8 (1959) and Romans 9-16 (1965). Today, it is a very dated commentary without the benefit of more than a half century of New Testament research. Therefore, Murray was unable to interact with the many fine commentaries on Romans that were published during that time. These commentaries include the following:

Cranfield, 1975-1979
Käsemann, 1980
Morris, 1988
Dunn, 1988
Ziesler, 1989
Fitzmyer, 1993*
Moo, 1996*
Byrne, 1996
Schreiner, 1998*
Jewett, 2007*
Hultgren, 2011*
Kruse, 2012*
Longnecker, 2016*
Middendorf, 2013, 2016 (two vols.)
Schreiner, Second Edition 2018*
Moo (Second Edition), 2018*
Thielman, 2018*
Harvey, 2019
Sherwood, 2020*

I have all of these commentaries here in my study. Those that I believe are the most valuable for Bible study I have marked with an asterisk (*)

I am currently reading Peter Martyr Vermigli's commentary on Romans, which is very good. John Murray's Romans commentary comes in for some criticism in John Fesko's recent book on Adam and the Covenant of Works. He particularly criticises Professor Murray's appendix that deals with Leviticus 18:5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back