John Murray's contribution to Covenant Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwright82

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
What were John Murray's contributions to covenant theology? If there are any online type papers by or about Murray I would really be thankful if someone could post those. I can't afford any books right now but I have always wanted to study him.

Well his little booklet on the Covenant of Grace (Pand R) can't cost too much and is probably online.

Because Murray defined divine covenants as "a sovereign administration of grace and of promise" he was lothe to call the Covenant of Works "the Covenant of Works" so he called it "the Adamic Administration".

He defined biblical divine "covenant" too narrowly and thus couldn't call the Covenant of Works a covenant.

Here's an article by Dr McMahon critical of Murray on the Covenant of Grace.

http://www.apuritansmind.com/Baptism/McMahonMurraysReformulation.htm#Postscript

While reading this, it occured to me that the inner life of the Covenant is monergistic, while the outer administration is synergistic.

E.g. Abraham was in covenant with God by faith before he got himself and his sons circumcised.

The faith that Abraham had was monergistically produced by the Holy Spirit.

The sign and seal, and badge and ceremony of the Covenant - circumcision - which is sometimes referred to as "the Covenant" itself (see Genesis 17), is synergistically produced by saved Man's (hopefully saved Man's) response to God's command, and then God the Holy Spirit makes use of that.

This is what Credo Baptists, don't get: that in the administration of the Covenant there is an inner spiritual reality and an outward sign and seal, that are not always found in the same person, and are not always meant to be found in the same person.

The elect or even the regenerate cannot and should not be be identified to be baptised; that is beyond men's knowledge.

But those who have a credible profession of the Christian faith and their children should be baptised.

There is always a relation and sometimes a tension between the inner and outer aspects of the Covenant the Bond (Outer) of Love (Inner).

Even the Baptists can't escape this because they sometimes baptise people and later conclude they are unregenerate.

So does their baptism (and maybe partaking of the Lord's Supper?) leave them more guilty or untouched, as their baptism wasn't a "real baptism", right?

If their baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper wasn't real because they appear not to have had the inner reality, then it shouldn't make any difference to their standing before God. But the Bible doesn't teach this. Baptism and the Lord's Supper are in important objective senses "the Keys of the Kingdom".

Last edited:
Pro Murray:
Murray, J. (1954). The Covenant of Grace. London: Tyndale.

Ramsey, D. P. A Confessional Critique of Kline and Karlberg. WTJ 66:2 (Fall 2004).

For comparisons and evaluations of Murray vs. Kline:
Jeon, J. K. (1999). Covenant Theology: John Murray's and Meredith G. Kline's Response to the Historical Development of Federal Theology in Reformed Thought. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.

Jones, M. (2010, n.d. n.d.). In what sense? A Review Article. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from Ordained Servant Online: Ordained Servant Online

Robertson, O. P. (1977). "Current Reformed Thinking on the Nature of the Divine Covenants". Westminster Theological Journal , 40 (1), 62-76.

Trumper, T. J. (2002). Covenant Theology And Constructive Calvinism. Westminster Theological Journal , 64 (2), 386-404. A review of Jeon.

If you want some opposite Murray (i.e., Kline oriented material):
Bryan D. Estelle, J. F. (Ed.). (2009). The Law is Not of Faith: Essays on Works and Grace in the Mosaic Covenant. Phillipsburg, New Jersey: P&R Publishing.

Karlberg, M. W. (Spring 1992). Covenant Theology and the Westminster Tradition. Westiminster Theological Journal , 54 (1), 135-152.

Karlberg, M. W. (2000). Covenant Theology in Reformed Perspective. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.

Well his little booklet on the Covenant of Grace (Pand R) can't cost too much and is probably online.

Because Murray defined divine covenants as "a sovereign administration of grace and of promise" he was lothe to call the Covenant of Works "the Covenant of Works" so he called it "the Adamic Administration".

He defined biblical divine "covenant" too narrowly and thus couldn't call the Covenant of Works a covenant.

John Murray’s Reformulation of the Covenant of Grace

While reading this, it occured to me that the inner life of the Covenant is monergistic, while the outer administration is synergistic.

E.g. Abraham was in covenant with God by faith before he got himself and his sons circumcised.

The sign and seal, and badge and ceremony of the Covenant - circumcision - which is sometimes referred to as "the Covenant" itself (see Genesis 17), is synergistically produced by saved Man's (hopefully saved Man's) response to God's command, and then God the Holy Spirit makes use of that.

This is what Credo Baptists, don't get: that in the administration of the Covenant there is an inner spiritual reality and an outward sign and seal, that are not always found in the same person, and are not always meant to be found in the same person.

The elect or even the regenerate cannot and should not be be identified to be baptised; that is beyond men's knowledge.

But those who have a credible profession of the Christian faith and their children should be baptised.

There is always a relation and sometimes a tension between the inner and outer aspects of the Covenant the Bond (Outer) of Love (Inner).

Even the Baptists can't escape this because they sometimes baptise people and later conclude they are unregenerate.

So does their baptism (and maybe partaking of the Lord's Supper?) leave them more guilty or untouched, as their baptism wasn't a "real baptism", right?

If their baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper wasn't real because they appear not to have had the inner reality, then it shouldn't make any difference to their standing before God. But the Bible doesn't teach this. Baptism and the Lord's Supper are in important objective senses "the Keys of the Kingdom".

I like your explination of covenant theology Richard, that is what I believe as well. So he didn't like the phrase covenant of works? Did he make any differentation between the Adamic covenant and what we would call the covenant of grace?

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Pro Murray:
Murray, J. (1954). The Covenant of Grace. London: Tyndale.

Ramsey, D. P. A Confessional Critique of Kline and Karlberg. WTJ 66:2 (Fall 2004).

For comparisons and evaluations of Murray vs. Kline:
Jeon, J. K. (1999). Covenant Theology: John Murray's and Meredith G. Kline's Response to the Historical Development of Federal Theology in Reformed Thought. Lanham, MD: University Press of America.

Jones, M. (2010, n.d. n.d.). In what sense? A Review Article. Retrieved June 23, 2010, from Ordained Servant Online: Ordained Servant Online

Robertson, O. P. (1977). "Current Reformed Thinking on the Nature of the Divine Covenants". Westminster Theological Journal , 40 (1), 62-76.

Trumper, T. J. (2002). Covenant Theology And Constructive Calvinism. Westminster Theological Journal , 64 (2), 386-404. A review of Jeon.

Bryan D. Estelle, J. F. (Ed.). (2009). The Law is Not of Faith: Essays on Works and Grace in the Mosaic Covenant. Phillipsburg, New Jersey: P&R Publishing.

Karlberg, M. W. (Spring 1992). Covenant Theology and the Westminster Tradition. Westiminster Theological Journal , 54 (1), 135-152.

Karlberg, M. W. (2000). Covenant Theology in Reformed Perspective. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.

Thank you very much. Yeah I am broke right now but if the welding school pays off like I think it will than I will have money to invest in these books. I must say I havn't read Kline at all but everything I read about him sort of makes me not like him that much. I am familer with his critique of theonomy but not his work in covenant theology. What was the disagreement between him and Murray?

Did he make any differentation between the Adamic covenant and what we would call the covenant of grace?

Yes, he didn't go down the heretical route some have gone of denying that Adam would have saved himself and his progeny by his merit, and turning the Covenant of Works/Adamic Administration into a Covenant of Grace.

He just didn't like the name Covenant of Works, because he'd already decided that a Covenant was a soveeign administration of promise and grace.

Even great men like Murray don't get it all right.

The word grace should be reserved for God's goodness to sinners, and Adam wasn't a sinner at the relevant period.

Thank you very much. Yeah I am broke right now but if the welding school pays off like I think it will than I will have money to invest in these books. I must say I havn't read Kline at all but everything I read about him sort of makes me not like him that much. I am familer with his critique of theonomy but not his work in covenant theology. What was the disagreement between him and Murray?

Murray emphasized the role of God's grace in his dealings with mankind and was accused of monocovenantalism for his reluctance to accept the terminology of covenant of works. His supporters claim that he held to the traditional view despite his wariness of the terminology of covenant of works. In Jeon's doctoral dissertation on Murray and Kline, he concludes that Murray was orthodox in his theology, albeit a bit of a revisionist of the Reformed tradition, but because he still retained the antithesis between law and grace (i.e., because he still identified a law-grace polarity so essential to the "Protestant" view of justification, he continued to be orthodox and within the Reformed tradition, despite his "creative" revisions of it).

Kline saw the Mosaic law as a "republication" of the covenant of works "in some sense" (typological) under the covenant of grace. His detractors accused him of everything from being too "Lutheran" to being antinomian. In a recent 150 pg. blast against Klineans under the cover of an extended review article of The Law is Not of Faith, those holding to Klinesque views are even painted with the broad brush of Amyraldianism.

Vanilla Reformed federal/covenant theology speaks of a covenant of works (during Adam's probationary period) followed by a covenant of grace (running from the protoevangelium of Gen 3:15-16 through Rev. 22. Some add an intratrinitarian covenant of redemption (pactum salutis) in eternity binding the members of the Godhead to the plan of redemption.

The issue is a hot one in some denominations. For instance, the OPC has a high percentage of Westminster grads, many of the older ones actually had Murray as a teacher while many of the younger ones took some of their work under Kline. Shepherd attempted to clean up some of the loose ends in Murray's theology during his term at WTS, eventually being removed for reasons of a non-confessional view of justification (proto-FV in some respects). Kline was at both WTS and WSCal, where he was the implacable enemy of Murray-esque views on covenant theology. While Murray tended to take a tolerant view of the orthodoxy of those who disagreed with him, many of the followers of Kline have been known for their heated rhetoric in attacking those on Murray's side of the aisle. Anything by Mark Karlberg, for example, would be very valuable in this regard. He clearly admires Kline and tends to use theological shotguns to swat flies.

If you are short on cash, get some of the Westminster Journal articles at a library. Robertson's piece is old (late 70s), but it sets the comparisons and contrasts fairly clearly. Trumper is also VERY good as a summary and critical review of the Jeon dissertation.

If you want to bring the conversation up to date, the recent book The Law is Not of Faith is ESSENTIAL. The online review by Jones on the OPC site is fair and asks great questions (http://www.opc.org/os.html?article_id=199) about it that will help you get a flavor for the collection of essays, essentially reflecting a range from sympathy to identification with Kline's views. The book begins with a fictionalized account of an ordination examination where the candidate nearly fails for having espoused a Klinean view of the Mosaic law. The authors use that ecclesiastical reality of tension and debates among elders (Murrayites vs. Klineans) as one of the chief reasons for writing The Law is Not of Faith. If you get the book, there are three must-read chapters: the introduction laying out the issues of interpretation rather clearly, Ferry's chapter on taxonomy (a shortened form of his ThM at WTS earlier in this decade), and the exegetical chapter on the meaning of Galatians 3 (Gordon). It is the most expressly Klinean and the most candid in identifying the author's views on the subject.

Incidentally, stepping back from all of the inside baseball stuff (Hey, I'm just a Baptist and may have gotten some of the details wrong; help me Presbyterian brethren if any of this is inaccurate!), Jeon's dissertation places the issue in a more irenic context when he writes:

Both Murray and Kline affirm justification by faith alone apart from good works or evangelical obedience, interpreting it in the light of the antithesis between Law and Gospel. Their consensus on forensic justification is integrated with the imputation of Christ’s righteousness and the instrumentality of faith. Both Murray and Kline correctly indicate that good works or evangelical obedience is the fruit of justifying faith. Murray argues that degrees of heavenly glory and reward will be assigned to believers according to their good works; this reflects both the overall view of Scripture and of covenant hermeneutics. Kline, however, does not permit the gradation of heavenly glory because the concept of gradation may obscure Christ’s meritorious work for our justification and salvation. (328)

Others, including some who have served on the faculty of Westminster Philadelphia (e.g., Trumper) have called the unending preoccupation with the Murray-Kline debate “myopic” and that it has “created unnecessarily a tension among those who really ought to be standing shoulder to shoulder in defense of federal theology.”

Last edited:

Murray emphasized the role of God's grace in his dealings with mankind and was accused of monocovenantalism for his reluctance to accept the terminology of covenant of works. His supporters claim that he held to the traditional view despite his wariness of the terminology of covenant of works. In Jeon's doctoral dissertation on Murray and Kline, he concludes that Murray was orthodox in his theology, albeit a bit of a revisionist of the Reformed tradition, because he still retained the antithesis between law and grace (i.e., because he still identified a law-grace polarity so essential to the "Protestant" view of justification, he continued to be orthodox and within the Reformed tradition, despite his "creative" revisions of it).

Kline saw the Mosaic law as a "republication" of the covenant of works "in some sense" (typological) under the covenant of grace. His detractors accused him of everything from being too "Lutheran" to being antinomian.

Vanilla Reformed federal/covenant theology speaks of a covenant of works (during Adam's probationary period) followed by a covenant of grace (running from the protoevangelium of Gen 3:15-16 through Rev. 22. Some add an intratrinitarian covenant of redemption (pactum salutis) in eternity binding the members of the Godhead to the plan of redemption.

The issue is a hot one in some denominations. For instance, the OPC has a high percentage of Westminster grads, many of the older ones actually had Murray as a teacher while many of the younger ones took some of their work under Kline. Shepherd attempted to clean up some of the loose ends in Murray's theology during his term at WTS, eventually being removed for reasons of a non-confessional view of justification (proto-FV in some respects). Kline was at both WTS and WSCal, where he was the implacable enemy of Murray-esque views on covenant theology. While Murray tended to take a tolerant view of the orthodoxy of those who disagreed with him, many of the followers of Kline have been known for their heated rhetoric in attacking those on Murray's side of the aisle. Anything by Mark Karlberg, for example, would be very valuable in this regard. He clearly admires Kline and tends to use theological shotguns to swat flies.

If you are short on cash, get some of the Westminster Journal articles at a library. Robertson's piece is old (late 70s), but it sets the comparisons and contrasts fairly clearly. Trumper is also VERY good as a summary and critical review of the Jeon dissertation.

If you want to bring the conversation up to date, the recent book The Law is Not of Faith is ESSENTIAL. The online review by Jones on the OPC site is fair and asks great questions (Ordained Servant Online) about it that will help you get a flavor for the collection of essays, essentially reflecting a range from sympathy to identification with Kline's views. The book begins with a fictionalized account of an ordination examination where the candidate nearly fails for having espoused a Klinean view of the Mosaic law. The authors use that ecclesiastical reality of tension and debates among elders (Murrayites vs. Klineans) as one of the chief reasons for writing The Law is Not of Faith. If you get the book, there are three must-read chapters: the introduction laying out the issues of interpretation rather clearly, Ferry's chapter on taxonomy (a shortened form of his ThM at WTS earlier in this decade), and the exegetical chapter on the meaning of Galatians 3 (Gordon). It is the most expressly Klinean and the most candid in identifying the author's views on the subject.

Incidentally, stepping back from all of the inside baseball stuff (Hey, I'm just a Baptist and may have gotten some of the details wrong), Jeon's dissertation places the issue in a more irenic context when he writes:

Both Murray and Kline affirm justification by faith alone apart from good works or evangelical obedience, interpreting it in the light of the antithesis between Law and Gospel. Their consensus on forensic justification is integrated with the imputation of Christ’s righteousness and the instrumentality of faith. Both Murray and Kline correctly indicate that good works or evangelical obedience is the fruit of justifying faith. Murray argues that degrees of heavenly glory and reward will be assigned to believers according to their good works; this reflects both the overall view of Scripture and of covenant hermeneutics. Kline, however, does not permit the gradation of heavenly glory because the concept of gradation may obscure Christ’s meritorious work for our justification and salvation. (328)

Others, including some who have served on the faculty of Westminster Philadelphia (e.g., Jumper) have called the unending preoccupation with the Murray-Kline debate “myopic” and that it has “created unnecessarily a tension among those who really ought to be standing shoulder to shoulder in defense of federal theology.”

Great post and great article link! They were both very informative.

I did notice from some Klinians that I have met that they tend to view opposing parties as worse than wrong. I am still a little uncorfatable with Kline's views, although I know next to nothing about republicationism (your article link introduced me to it so thanks). The more historical view of the mosaic covenant is what that it is a certian dispensation of the covenant of grace that is fully realized and revealed in the new covenant? I sortive of think that but if what your saying about Kline and republicationism is that they view it as a more covenant of works over and against the covenant of grace, then the disagreement seems to be possibly one of emphasizing certian elements of the mosaic covenant more than others, do I have thatright? I am just trying to learn here so I am not trying to seem argumentetive but inquisative.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Did he make any differentation between the Adamic covenant and what we would call the covenant of grace?

Yes, he didn't go down the heretical route some have gone of denying that Adam would have saved himself and his progeny by his merit, and turning the Covenant of Works/Adamic Administration into a Covenant of Grace.

He just didn't like the name Covenant of Works, because he'd already decided that a Covenant was a soveeign administration of promise and grace.

The word grace should be reserved for God's goodness to sinners, and Adam wasn't a sinner at the relevant period.

Nice point Richard! So he had a problem with the term covenant of works because of his preinterpretive view of what a covenant was, if I understand you and him right. What was so different about his take on the adamic covenant other than a linguistic disagreement over names (covenant of works vs. whatever he wanted to call it)?

Be forewarned that the book edited by Estelle is not very kind (not that they are required to be) to Murray and has one of the writers calling John Murray the "drunk Uncle" of Reformed Theology.

Be forewarned that the book edited by Estelle is not very kind (not that they are required to be) to Murray and has one of the writers calling John Murray the "drunk Uncle" of Reformed Theology.

More specifically, Dennison accuses one of the authors of mocking Murray in ANOTHER work, there likening Murray to an “uncle who gets drunk every Thanksgiving and makes passes at the women-folk." [This is a footnote that I did not have a chance to track down as to its accuracy.] As I indicated, the Murray-Kline debate is ANYthing but gentle or genteel. The partisans on both sides seem to conduct their theological discussions with black jacks, chains, and brandishing broken bottles. :) BTW - the one bringing up the charge of mockery towards Murray engages in some florid prose himself in attacking the authors of The Law is Not of Faith. When have you ever seen a review that ran 150 pages and full of vitriolic personal attacks? It probably doesn't help that on the first page of the review, the three authors offer up Norman Shepherd as one of the guys they feel got a raw deal at the hands of the Klineans! If I were attempting to argue for my own orthodoxy over against the acolytes of Kline, it would not be by dredging up the name of someone removed from his post for theological reasons.

And, the contribution by the author who was accused of mocking Murray in another piece, has even been hailed by critics of Kline. "[That] chapter is in one respect the most satisfying of all the chapters for the simple reason that, agree or disagree with him, you are left in no doubt as to what precisely he is arguing."

I brought up Dennison because he makes the charge against Gordon in the Kerux review of The Law is Not of Faith, p. 64, fn 58. There he references By Faith Alone by Johnson and Winters where he says the original comment was made.

Dennison's line is: "But Gordon's mockery of Murray doesn't end there. In another work he likens Murray and his biblical theology to . . . " (Kerux review, pg. 64.

I have great respect for Murray, Kline, and the more standard schema of covenant theology and neither defend nor support either Gordon's language NOR the "National Enquirer" type lines in the Kerux article. As indicated in one of my earlier posts, Trumper seems to have gotten it right when he observes that it is incredibly "myopic" to squabble so acrimoniously between the Murray and Kline camps when their partisans should be standing shoulder to shoulder against the attacks on justification sola fide that are threatening to undermine the Reformation (and Reformed) teaching on this crucial doctrine.

For conservative Reformed sola fide upholders to treat each other as if the other side had one foot inside hell and one on a slippery slope is more than myopic (in my opinion). It is just plain stupid! With the ECT, NPP, FV, Wright, and other challenges to justification being promulgated out there . . . maybe Rodney King had it right: "Can't we just get along?" :)

[Ben, I just don't have my copy of The Law is not of Faith with me and cannot check if Gordon makes the charge in that book as well. Judging by Dennison's claim, I doubt that he would have gone to the trouble of referencing another work if he had an offending line at hand in TLNF.]

John Murray’s Reformulation of the Covenant of Grace

Even under Murray's definition of "covenant", the "Adamic Administration" should qualify as a covenant, since it was very gracious (Adam and Eve had more gifts and blessings than they could ever, need, had only one specific prohibition, and possessed everything that should have helped them to keep that one commandment; ) and contained a promise of eternal life with God (symbolized by the tree of life.)

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

If Adam had won eternal life for all of us instead of sinning, we would not be sinners; yet we would see the covenant as grace. We would marvel at God's grace to us underving creatures that he had given us so many blessings upon such a small condition. How much more then is that covenant which we enjoy to be attributed to grace, for in this covenant we have contributed absolutely nothing, not even one little abstension which was required of Adam.

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

"Kline was at both WTS and WSCal,"

Plus Gordon-Conwell, don't forget.

Last edited:

Yes, but my friends from that era say that he was constantly complaining to his students at GC that they were not as capable and did not work as hard as his WTS students.

But, hey, what do I know. My seminary was in Pasadena where the palm trees and continual sunshine put us all into an academic haze. And, I will allow that the GC M.Div. grads are typically MUCH sharper than the Pasadena M.Div. grads (even though many of the Pasadena folks went on to get PhDs and make major contributions).

Yes, but my friends from that era say that he was constantly complaining to his students at GC that they were not as capable and did not work as hard as his WTS students.

Somehow I don't find that entirely surprising, yet Gordon-Conwell is still #4 on the OPC's list of seminaries that have trained her ministers.

Riley, one of the members of my board is a pastor in a nearby town and a Gordon-Conwell grad from the early 80s. He loved Kline but complained that Kline was often found grousing at the failure of his GC students to live up to the standards of his WTS students.

Riley, one of the members of my board is a pastor in a nearby town and a Gordon-Conwell grad from the early 80s. He loved Kline but complained that Kline was often found grousing at the failure of his GC students to live up to the standards of his WTS students.

OK, I got the point the first time! GCTS gathers from much broader spectrum of incoming students than the WTSs: mainliners, charismatics, emergents etc. And in my judgment they graduate much better (sounder) than they came. I think the school is doing a lot of good.

Quote from Riley
Even under Murray's definition of "covenant", the "Adamic Administration" should qualify as a covenant, since it was very gracious (Adam and Eve had more gifts and blessings than they could ever, need, had only one specific prohibition, and possessed everything that should have helped them to keep that one commandment; ) and contained a promise of eternal life with God (symbolized by the tree of life.)

Yes but it is better to say that it was good, righteous, wise, holy, etc, rasther than gracious, because Adam and Eve hadn't sinned, and the word grace is usually reserved for the unmerited or demerited favour or goodness of God to sinners.

E.g. for God to curse Adam's body with the seeds of death, curse his world and cast Adam and Eve out of the Garden, before they had sinned, and not have an otherwise good reason for doing so, would be immoral.

For God to immerse the unfallen angels or Adam and Eve, before they fell, in Hell, would be against His just character. So before the Fall, God in a sense owed Adam His goodness. Therefore to talk of grace, even in the arrangements of the CoW is at best misleading and confusing.

We have a God Whom we can trust in not to dispense arbitrary or even rough "justice."

Quote from Riley

Yes but it is better to say that it was good, righteous, wise, holy, etc, rasther than gracious, because Adam and Eve hadn't sinned, and the word grace is usually reserved for the unmerited or demerited favour or goodness of God to sinners.

E.g. for God to curse Adam's body with the seeds of death, curse his world and cast Adam and Eve out of the Garden, before they had sinned, and not have an otherwise good reason for doing so, would be immoral.

For God to immerse the unfallen angels or Adam and Eve, before they fell, in Hell, would be against His just character. So before the Fall, God in a sense owed Adam His goodness. Therefore to talk of grace, even in the arrangements of the CoW is at best misleading and confusing.

We have a God Whom we can trust in not to dispense arbitrary or even rough "justice."

First of all, it is oxymoronic to speak of hypothetical acts of God as being potentially "immoral." Second of all, if Adam hadn't sinned, he would not only not have died. He/we would have been translated to a full communion with the triune God in a glorified heavenly state. This was symbolized to Adam by the tree of life. This certainly would qualify as gracious on God's part.

As far as grace, I prefer to distinguish it from mercy. Mercy is only for sinners. Grace is always undeserved, but can also be applied to pre-sin Adam and Eve or the sinless angels as well as fallen humanity.

As far as grace, I prefer to distinguish it from mercy. Mercy is only for sinners. Grace is always undeserved, but can also be applied to pre-sin Adam and Eve or the sinless angels as well as fallen humanity.

I prefer a clearer distinction between the realms of grace and mercy to sinners and the realm of God's bountiful goodness to His creatures that haven't sinned e.g. unfallen Man and angels, especially when there is this danger of confusing things and turning the Covenant of Works into a Covenant of Grace.

Christians and Reformed Christians in particular are used to talking about God's grace in the context of Man's sin, before they come to the subject of the pre-Fall Covenant, and the use of the word grace in that context might at best lead to confusion, if not downright erroneousness.

And it's true that before the Fall, God in His goodness owed by His own nature Adam and Eve something. Maybe not all they received and were offered for their continued obedience, which was far more than the something He owed them.

It may be difficult to define what that something was that God owed them as innocent creatures made in His Image but that was part of what He gave them at the beginning and it wasn't gracious or merciful.

It was just what they deserved as sinless creatures made in His Image and because God is good and just He treated them in such a way. Because He is bountiful in goodness He delighted to give and offer them far more than He needed to in strict goodness and justice.

Quotes from Riley

If Adam had won eternal life for all of us instead of sinning, we would not be sinners; yet we would see the covenant as grace. We would marvel at God's grace to us underving creatures that he had given us so many blessings upon such a small condition. How much more then is that covenant which we enjoy to be attributed to grace, for in this covenant we have contributed absolutely nothing, not even one little abstension which was required of Adam.

I agree with these points, Riley. I just don't like using the word "grace" in connection with the Covenant of Works in case the Covenant of Grace gets confused with the Covenant of Works, which has already happened.

If we talk of grace in connection with the Covenant of Works we have to make clear distinctions and qualifications lest people think that the Covenant of Works was all of grace.

Then the main theological point that is taught by the Covenant of Works is vitiated or overthrown.

Last edited:

I prefer a clearer distinction between the realms of grace and mercy to sinners and the realm of God's bountiful goodness to His creatures that haven't sinned e.g. unfallen Man and angels, especially when there is this danger of confusing things and turning the Covenant of Works into a Covenant of Grace.

Christians and Reformed Christians in particular are used to talking about God's grace in the context of Man's sin, before they come to the subject of the pre-Fall Covenant, and the use of the word grace in that context might at best lead to confusion, if not downright erroneousness.

And it's true that before the Fall, God in His goodness owed by His own nature Adam and Eve something. Maybe not all they received and were offered for their continued obedience, which was far more than the something He owed them.

It may be difficult to define what that something was that God owed them as innocent creatures made in His Image but that was part of what He gave them at the beginning and it wasn't gracious or merciful.

It was just what they deserved as sinless creatures made in His Image and because God is good and just He treated them in such a way. Because He is bountiful in goodness He delighted to give and offer them far more than He needed to in strict goodness and justice.

Quotes from Riley

I agree with these points, Riley. I just don't like using the word "grace" in connection with the Covenant of Works in case the Covenant of Grace gets confused with the Covenant of Works, which has already happened.

If we talk of grace in connection with the Covenant of Works we have to make clear distinctions and qualifications lest people think that the Covenant of Works was all of grace.

Then the main theological point that is taught by the Covenant of Works is vitiated or overthrown.

I would say that the "covenant of works", or, as the Shorter Catechism terms it (emphasizing the promised reward of obedience,) the "covenant of life", was in fact very gracious, although I would never mix it up with what we call the "covenant of grace." That is where we keep the terms clear.

VG.

Things have to be kept especially clear now, with Shepherdism, NPP, FV, etc, floating around in Reformed and evangelical theological circles.

The previously mentioned comment by T. David Gordon is found in his essay "Reflections on Auburn Theology" on page 118 of the volume By Faith Alone edited by Gary Johnson and Guy Waters. Here is the comment in its greater context,
I am staggered by the lack of discussion of John Murray's biblical theology. Many families have a dark secret that they prefer not to talk about: the uncle who gets drunk every Thanksgiving and makes passes at the womenfolk, the eccentric nephew who can't hold a job, etc. Such family secrets are well-known but rarely discussed. The Reformed version of this is John Murray's biblical theology.
While the illustration is ill-advised and unnecessarily provocative, Dennison presents Gordon as stating something more offensive than he does in reality. Gordon presents Murray's biblical theology as the Reformed "drunk uncle" that is "well-known but rarely discussed." He does not state that Murray himself is a "drunk uncle." Critics of Gordon's covenant theology do not benefit from such inaccurate presentations.

P.S. That being said, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not a huge fan of T. David Gordon's covenant theology. My objection is simply that his rejection of the Covenant of Grace (same essay, pg. 121) should be the primary object of discussion, not an out-of-context quotation.

Last edited:

Richard, I also prefer to keep the word "grace" in theological usage for speaking of God's favor to the guilty.

However, I am quite concerned by these statements you have made, though perhaps I am misunderstanding. Do you really mean to assert that Adam had a claim on God while in the period of probation? That God was indebted and obligated to give Adam something? To me that seems clean contrary to Romans 11:35.

Richard, I also prefer to keep the word "grace" in theological usage for speaking of God's favor to the guilty.

Would a better word, and I'm just speculating here, be blessing? This word seams to keep the focus of the covenant of works but also displays God's love through His covenant. It seems a nice balence to me.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

This is one reason why I don't appreciate Murray's muddling with the historic Reformed confessional terms.

I knew the connection to FV existed informally you could say between Murray and FV but the reports on FV when they mention Murray exonerate him from any actual FV offense, I know it didn't exist back then as an idea but you know I mean like he beleived the same sort of things. Since I trust the reports and their comments on Murray without actually reading him I wanted to learn about his theology apart from the controversy.

Would a better word, and I'm just speculating here, be blessing? This word seams to keep the focus of the covenant of works but also displays God's love through His covenant. It seems a nice balence to me.

I think the Assembly's "voluntary condescension" does just fine.

God would have been acting inconsistently with His own just character to treat unfallen angels and unfallen Adam and Eve, or Christ Himself once He had completed His work, unjustly.

God is always true to His own nature and will never do anything unjust or otherwise sinful.

God "owed" this to Himself first of all rather than Adam, because all that Adam was and had was from God.

Do you really mean to assert that Adam had a claim on God while in the period of probation?

If the innocent Adam had been immersed in Hell by God, would he not have been able to appeal to God's just character as to why he should not have been put there by God.

In that sense Adam had a claim on God's character. Of course the issue never arose because God is a just God, and not only that, He delighted in being superabundantly good to Adam and Eve.

As it was God treated the unfallen Adam justly, and on top of that with "grace", "voluntary condescension", "bountiful, superabundant goodness". Take your pick.

Isn't that the point of the covenant, though? The only way God could ever have "owed" anyone anything, is by entering into an arrangement. Saying that in a counterfactual hypothetical situation Adam would have had a basis for recrimination seems to me far too speculative to be of any doctrinal value.

However, I am quite concerned by these statements you have made, though perhaps I am misunderstanding. Do you really mean to assert that Adam had a claim on God while in the period of probation? That God was indebted and obligated to give Adam something? To me that seems clean contrary to Romans 11:35.

I define grace as unmerited favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back