John Newton Brown's Debate With William Taylor over The Fourth Commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinich

Puritan Board Freshman
You might find it interesting that John Newton Brown, the American Baptist pastor from the 1800's who wrote the New Hampshire Baptist Confession of Faith, was a part of a "debate book" effort, where he argued for the Christian Sabbath against William Taylor.

In my perusal of this document, I've found Brown to be a well-informed, convincing, winsome, and charitable debater.

I found it particularly interesting how he argued that those who argue against the Sabbath by saying Jesus broke it are essentially exalting the Pharisee's interpretation of the law over that of the Son of God.

Brown says: “To charge our Lord with a ‘studied violation of the Sabbath,’ because he commanded the impotent man to…’take up his bed and walk’ is again to adopt the Pharisaic construction…Happily we have better authority to assure us, everywhere and always, that ‘it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath day.’”

Here is a link to a (my) blog post, which both links to the scan of the original document and also contains a number of quotes I've lifted from the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back