John Newton on politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
I could not help observing, one day, how much Mr. N[ewton]. was grieved with the mistake of a minister, who appeared to pay too much attention to politics. “For my part,” said he, “I have no temptation to turn politician, and much less to inflame a party, in these times. When a ship is leaky, and a mutinous spirit divides the company on board, a wise man would say, ‘My good friends, while we are debating the water is gaining on us. We had better leave the debate, and go to the pumps.’ — I endeavour,” continued he, “to turn my people’s eyes from instruments to God. I am continually attempting to shew them, how far they are from knowing either the matter of fact or the matter of right. I inculcate our great privileges in this country, and advise a discontented man to take a lodging for a little while in Russia or Prussia.”

For the reference, see John Newton on politics.

I needed this...I actually told a good friend of mine that I almost need an accountability partner to confess the amount I discuss on things in the world lately vs the things of God...

I needed this...I actually told a good friend of mine that I almost need an accountability partner to confess the amount I discuss on things in the world lately vs the things of God...

Yeah, there is another quotation from John Newton where he points out that people mar their Christian character by constantly whining about every wee thing politically. If love covers a multitude of sins, it should also cover a multitude of imprudent political decisions.

John Newton is one of the wisest people I've ever read. The Banner of Truth set of his writings has nothing but gold on almost every page.

One of the best things I've read in Seminary is "Wise Counsel: John Newton's letters to John Ryland Jr." (for one of our Pastoral Readiness classes).

While I would differ from Newton theologically in a few areas, his ability to fix his energy "on the main thing" in the midst of all circumstances was quite extraordinary.

Some choice quotes I have kept at the ready are below.

When his wife Mary died - this was deeply moving:
"There is no school like the school of the cross. There men are made wise unto salvation; wise to win souls. In a crucified Saviour are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And the tongue of the truly learned, that can speak a word in season to them that are weary, is not acquired, like Greek and Latin, by reading great books; but by self-knowledge and soul exercises. To learn navigation by the fire-side, will never make a man an expert mariner. He must do his business in great waters. And practice will bring him into many situations, of which his general theory could give him no conception.
I hope my late trial has not been wholly lost on me. I am willing to live while the Lord pleases, for I am his, and not my own. Independent of his will, I see little worth living for. I hope, from henceforth, I shall be a pilgrim and a stranger upon the earth. The world is too poor to repair my loss. It is a wound which can only be effectually healed, by him that made it. And faithful, indeed, are the wounds of such a friend.
But what is the death of a fellow worm, however beloved, [compared] to the death of Jesus! This is the thought which ought to wean us from the world, and to crucify us unto it, and indeed, which alone is sufficient for the purpose! May we die daily, May we live forever. Amen."

-John Newton, 26 March 1791

When Ryland was seeking another charge, Newton wrote with an interesting observation:
Considering that our Lord’s kingdom is not of this world, I have thought it a little strange, that when his ministers think He calls them to leave one charge for another, it should almost universally be from less to more; to a better income, a larger town or a more genteel congregation… I make no apology for this hint”.

And a quite touching note he left to Ryland near the end was:
I think I love you no less than I should do, if you were an Episcopalian” (p.325)

As I told the class, it even touched this "Divine Right Presbyterian" to hear such a thing after reading a lifetime of correspondence from the Episcopalian Newton to his dear Baptist minister son in the faith. In the end, Newton saw the main thing in their relationship even if they could never be united in the same church.

I have grown to love Newton. We need more men with his spirit in gospel ministry. It would also do us good to look at the best Anglicans more often and glean what we can from them that is good and holy and right.

Yeah, there is another quotation from John Newton where he points out that people mar their Christian character by constantly whining about every wee thing politically. If love covers a multitude of sins, it should also cover a multitude of imprudent political decisions.
Could you provide that quote?

John Newton is one of the wisest people I've ever read. The Banner of Truth set of his writings has nothing but gold on almost every page.

I aim to finish the remaining two volumes that I have to read (4 and 5) of the 6-volume set of his works over the next two weeks, God-willing. His writings are very easy to read. The print size in the 6-volume edition of his works is also very pleasing to the eye - unlike the size of the text in Stephen Charnock's works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back