John Newton on Richard Baxter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
From a letter to a fellow minister, dated Thursday, January 26, 1775:

I lately read a sermon of Mr. Baxter's (in the fifth volume of the Morning Exercises) on Matthew 5:16. My mind is something impressed with the subject, and with his manner of treating it. Some of Mr. Baxter's sentiments in divinity are rather cloudy, and he sometimes upon that account met with but poor quarter from the staunch Calvinists of his day. But by what I have read of him, where he is quiet, and not ruffled by controversy, he appears to me, notwithstanding some mistakes, to have been one of the greatest men of his age, and perhaps in fervor, spirituality, and success, more than equal, both as a minister and a Christian, to some twenty taken together, of those who affect to undervalue him in this present day. There is a spirit in some passages of his Saint's Rest, his Dying Thoughts, and other of his practical treatises, compared with which, many modern compositions, though well-written and well-meant, appear to me to a great disadvantage. But I was speaking of his sermon. He points out the way at which we should aim to let our light shine in the world, for the glory of God, and the conviction and edification of men. I have mentioned where it is to be found, that, if you have the Morning Exercises, or they should come in your way, you may look at it. I think you would like it...

It's interesting to read the opinion of one great saint of another great saint.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691)
John Newton (1725-1807)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back