John Norton: Is faith the proper condition of the covenant of grace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Obj 4. Faith is a condition (though not of it self, yet) of salvation, & that in the Elect themselves: therefore the Application of salvation seems not to be free in respect of the Elect.

Ans. A Condition, is either a Condition properly so called, (i. e. an antecedent Condition,) Or a Condition improperly so called: i. e. a consequent Condition. A Condition (properly so called) is a Law, or Observation, annexed to a business; the performance whereof lyeth upon the Covenant; and accordingly the business becometh valid, or null. Such a condition was Works in the first Covenant. If Faith were such a condition, there would soon be an end of the Covenant of grace: yea, the Covenant of grace, were indeed no Covenant of grace.

A Condition improperly (so called, or a Consequent Condition) is such a condition, whose performance by the Covenantee, is absolutely undertaken for; and irresistibly wrought by the Covenantor, and not left in suspense upon the Covenantee, to be performed by his own strength. Faith is a consequent condition, not an antecedent condition. So as this Proposition, I will give Eternal life unto the Elect, if they do believe: is aequivolent unto this, I will out of my absolute will give unto the Elect Eternal life, because I will out of my absolute will give unto the Elect to believe. The Condition of Faith depends not upon the Will of the Elect; either to be, or not to be; but upon the absolute and gracious Will of God.

For the reference, see:

Obj 4. Faith is a condition (though not of it self, yet) of salvation, & that in the Elect themselves: therefore the Application of salvation seems not to be free in respect of the Elect.

Ans. A Condition, is either a Condition properly so called, (i. e. an antecedent Condition,) Or a Condition improperly so called: i. e. a consequent Condition. A Condition (properly so called) is a Law, or Observation, annexed to a business; the performance whereof lyeth upon the Covenant; and accordingly the business becometh valid, or null. Such a condition was Works in the first Covenant. If Faith were such a condition, there would soon be an end of the Covenant of grace: yea, the Covenant of grace, were indeed no Covenant of grace.

A Condition improperly (so called, or a Consequent Condition) is such a condition, whose performance by the Covenantee, is absolutely undertaken for; and irresistibly wrought by the Covenantor, and not left in suspense upon the Covenantee, to be performed by his own strength. Faith is a consequent condition, not an antecedent condition. So as this Proposition, I will give Eternal life unto the Elect, if they do believe: is aequivolent unto this, I will out of my absolute will give unto the Elect Eternal life, because I will out of my absolute will give unto the Elect to believe. The Condition of Faith depends not upon the Will of the Elect; either to be, or not to be; but upon the absolute and gracious Will of God.

For the reference, see:

Thank you for posting this. I have benefited greatly from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back