John Owen’s disagreements with John Davenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Since, not only the complete finishing of this Treatise under my hand, which is now about 5 Months ago, but also the Printing of some Part of it, the Two Dissertations of Dr Davenant, of the Death of Christ, and of Predestination and Reprobation were set forth: in both which, especially the former, there are sundry Assertions, Positions, and Thesis, differing from what is delivered in the ensuing Treatise, and as I suppose repugnant unto Truth itself: The whole of that Persuasion, I confess, which he endeavoureth in them to maintain, is suited to the Expressions of sundry Learned men, as Austin, Hillary, Fulgentius, Prosper, who in their Generations deserved exceeding well or the Church of God:

But that it is free from Opposition to the Scripture, or indeed self-Contradiction, is not so apparent. Yea, through the Patience and Goodness of God, I undertake to demonstrate, That the main Foundation of his whole Dissertation about the Death of Christ, with many Inferences from thence, are neither found in, nor founded on the Word, but that the several Parts thereof, are mutually Conflicting and destructive of each other, to the great prejudice of the Truth therein contained. ...

For more, see John Owen’s disagreements with John Davenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back