John Owen on Apostasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I was in our local Christian bookstore yesterday perusing the Banner of Truth bookshelf (looking for gift books to give to our new members), when I happened across a copy of John Owen's The Nature and Causes of Apostasy from the Gospel. Excellent! In the first few pages he explains Hebrews 6:4-6 as clearly and consisely as I've ever seen.

This is a Puritan Paperback, so it's very inexpensive and easy-to-read. Plus, and more importantly, this is a serious matter -- warning those who believe themselves to be Christians but neglect the things of Christ -- that needs to be seriously considered by all Christians.

I have the Puritan Paperback and have read it a couple of times. Great stuff. I also really like his Holy Spirit and the Church put out by Banner of Truth as well. One of these days I'll buy Owen's works.

I was in our local Christian bookstore yesterday perusing the Banner of Truth bookshelf

Wow!!! I was at our local Christian bookstore (Family Christian Bookstore) yesterday to pick up Calvin's Institutes for a family from our church leaving for the mission field. I couldn't find a copy despite 2009 is the 500 yr anniversary of Calvin's birth. I spoke with the manager who advised me they don't even stock Calvin's Institutes, nevermind a "Banner of Truth bookshelf".

Of course they have 3 shelves for Joel Osteen and the missus, 2 shelves for Joyce Meyers. 4 shelves for T D Jakes, 2 shelves for Beth Moore, etc.

Maybe I need to go to Barnes and Noble. I usually see the Institutes there.

Nah, I'll order it from Westminster.

:(:rant:

Yes, we are truly blessed to have a bookstore like the Christian Book Nook. He has an entire Banner of Truth shelf, right next to the register. It's difficult to avoid!

Here are Owen's comments about Hebrews 6:4-6 from page 8 of the book. I blog about it here.

It is a great mercy, a great privilege to be enlightened with the doctrine of the gospel and to have its truths impressed on our minds by the inward work of the Holy Spirit. The great mercy and privilege may be lost by the of neglect, which will serve only to increase the sinfulness and condemnation of those who were once made partakers of this privilege. Where there is a total neglect of this great privilege, with no attempt to grow in the knowledge of the gospel, the condition of such persons is very dangerous, and could lead to final apostasy, from which they will find it impossible to repent.

Thank you. I borrowed the unabridged Owen back when I was struggling with P and what is apostasy, and read for a while but gave up. This sounds real good. I am personally settled on the topic now, but it is great the way BOT puts out these abridged and updated language versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back