Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
"Why art thou cast down, O my soul?
and why art thou disquieted in me?
hope thou in God,
for I shall yet praise Him for the help of his countenance."

Norton, D. (Ed.). (2011). The New Cambridge Paragraph Bible with the Apocrypha: King James Version (Revised edition, Ps 42:5). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.

Words from my favorite Puritan sage, John Owen:

"The minds of men are apt by their troubles to be cast into disorder, to be tossed up and down, and disquieted with various affections and passions. So the Psalmist found it in himself in the time of his distress; whence he calls himself unto that account, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me?” And, indeed, the mind on all such occasions is its own greatest troubler. It is apt to let loose its passions of fear and sorrow, which act themselves in innumerable perplexing thoughts, until it is carried utterly out of its own power. But in this state a due contemplation of the glory of Christ will restore and compose the mind,—bring it into a sedate, quiet frame, wherein faith will be able to say unto the winds and waves of distempered passions, “Peace, be still;” and they shall obey it."

Owen, J. (n.d.). The works of John Owen. (W. H. Goold, Ed.) (Vol. 1, p. 279). Edinburgh: T&T Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back