John Owen -where to begin

Discussion in 'Puritan Literature' started by Richard King, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

If someone was considering wading in to John Owen's writings,
    what would you suggest as a good starting point?

2. Casey

Casey Puritan Board Junior

The Mortification of Sin is the first thing I read by him. I'd read that first as it's not very long and will introduce you to his writing style. It's available as a simple paperback from Christian Heritage publications if you don't want to buy his entire 16-vol. Works.

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

4. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Start with his shorter writings, which are actually pretty easy to read.

5. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

wow, thanks guys

6. FenderPriest

FenderPriest Puritan Board Junior

I really like "Mortification of Sin" but I'm not sure it's where I'd suggest someone to start in Owen. It's a very good book, and very helpful and all, but I'd actually suggest people look into Vol. 1 of his works, "Mediations on the Glory of Christ" or, if that were a little big for them, I'd suggest "Communion with God". Those two books I think are much more all-inclusive in their thought and encouragement. Both distinguish sin from righteousness very clearly, and give clear guidance on how to kill sin, but I think they give a little better framework help in giving people the aim at what their looking for: Christ, and to be like Christ. But, "Mortification" is a good, smaller book to start on, but I'd encourage a fast wade into Volume 1's The Glory of Christ. As the editor's preface for this work states:

7. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

The Glory of Christ and Communion with God both published by Banner of Truth in their Puritan Paperbacks series.

8. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

While these are a great read, being abridgments, would you consider them the best place to start for someone actually wanting to read John Owen himself?

9. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

It would depend upon who was asking. If it was a professor of theology then I would suggest them be read from Owen's Works but if a new Christian or someone who needs a taste of what one can find in Owen then I would recommend these with the hope that they would then turn to the "originals". :handshake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.