John Piper: A big advocate of Lent and Easter and Candles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moireach

Puritan Board Freshman
Have to say I've never been overly taken with him, But anyway his latest blog post is very very disappointing,

Why Would We Observe*Lent? - Desiring God

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Oh turns out this is written by his wife. I'm still blaming him,

Whether his wife wrote that piece or otherwise, one thing that needs to be remembered about John Piper is that while he likes SOME of what the Puritans and Reformed fathers have to say, he is in no way bound by any confessional tethers. I continue to be amused when I hear him referred to as a "Reformed Baptist"... but have stopped being surprised by things like this (even if it's by his wife, it's posted to his DG site, and I would say it's safe to assume he approves of the contents.

I thought that it was weird when he was doing some seminar or something with Rick Warren. Maybe Piper has some kind of ecumenical virus. Hope it's just temporary.

Hmmm. Though I'm always wary of mega-church ministers and indeed John Piper I had thought better of him than this. His wife is under his headship in the family and I take anything written by her as if it was coming from himself, these are most certainly his own views too. Very very disappointing.

About the easter, well isn't it a pagan holiday? I mean all those bunnies and eggs are from Babylon or Babel?

Despite all of these failings John Piper has still done a lot for a lot of us around here. It's unfortunate that he has drifted into some places we (as confessional Reformed folk) wouldn't go.

You know, having lived in a context where people who simply believed in the Bible and believed in salvation by faith alone, through grace alone in Christ alone made up less than one percent of the population, I've learned that there are battles worth fighting and some that are not. While I don't agree with Dr. Piper on this issue, I have no desire to be hyper-critical of him or cast dispersions upon the rest of his ministry. He is clearly a brother in Christ, firmly believes in the gospel, the sovereignty of God, Biblical roles of men and women, expository preaching, etc. He is obviously gifted to preach and teach the word, and no one could seriously doubt that the man is passionate for God's glory.

He has done and said some things that I disagree with, but has done nothing that I think compromises the message or integrity of the gospel. I read the works of many men who had flaws in their respective theologies; R.L. Dabney (racist remarks), John Owen (congregationalist), Spurgeon (credo-baptist, obviously for me from a Presbyterian standpoint), etc. Yet their errors do not, for me, mean that the entirety of their works are flawed.

There is seemingly a tendency among confessional folks to look suspiciously upon another brother who, while a strong proponent for the gospel, doesn't fit the "reformed" mold just so, and look for flaws rather than praise God that the gospel is being proclaimed. "The one who is not against us is for us." Mark 9:40. I have never once heard Dr. Piper speak ill or critically of confessional Presbyterians and Baptists, yet I have heard such talk numerous times from "our side."

How quick are we to put up a new topic for discussion when Dr. Piper says something right as we are when he says something wrong?

We can be critical of a man's views without being dismissive of his general usefulness for Christ's Kingdom. However, it is not nitpicking to stand up for purity of worship; which was half of what the Reformation was about; not just the doctrine of Justification. Thread closed.:judge:

At the thread author's request I'm allowing this clarification; the thread shall remain closed.
Moireach said:
"@tbhslawson and raekwon, I disagree in the strongest terms with your assertion that there are battles not worth fighting and that this is certainly not a battle worth fighting, and to express disappointment at his embracing of a Roman ordinance is not picking at nits.
But I just wanted to clear my name and clarify, I am not 'hyper-critical' of John Piper, I am not casting dispersions upon the rest of his ministry, I am not looking suspiciously on him and looking for flaws in him, and I most certainly do regard him a brother in Christ, and will continue to read his blogs. It was for the very reason that I do respect his ministry that I even brought this up, I was genuinely surprised and disappointed. Surely I can say that on the Puritan Board without being accused of such things?
Chris summed it up well!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back