John Piper and Rick Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonlight

Puritan Board Freshman
This one has me scratching my head. I am just starting my journey learning about reformed theology but I really like John Piper. I respect the man greatly and have been been blessed by reading and listening to some of his thoughts. Rick Warren is this guy that everyone has connected in their heads with everything from the Emergent Church to lots of crazy things. I personally don't think him anywhere near as bad as Smilin Joel but would somehow seriously question his theology. The mentality seems to be to not say things to offend people so that you end up with the biggest church membership. That isn't right. Now, I was just listening to a couple of video clips where Piper is talking about Rick Warren. He likes the guy. He thinks he doesn't quite have it all right but he is on the right track. He seems to think that he could make Warren come around and come to accept all five points. Say what? This sounds interesting. Evidently, Piper invited him to the conference in the fall with fair warning that he is going to blast him with loads of questions that will force Warren to lay his cards on the table. Warren agreed. Can you imagine the implications if Warren does indeed turn around and fully embraces and begins to preach and teach reformed theology? Warren is talking about spinning off satellite churches in the next decade. Piper finds the man to be very intelligent and well read and he thinks Warren has some sound doctrine in his theology but still has things that are quite wrong.
What does everyone think of this? Is it possible that Warren will learn something from this conference, take it to heart and apply it to his ministry? I say we pray that he does. Warren can reach a LOT of people with the truth. :pilgrim:

There was quite a discussion when this news was first announced at the end of March. Several threads were merged into this one that you might like to read through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back