John Piper At Passion 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS116

Puritan Board Freshman
As some of you know pastor John Piper spoke at Passion 2012 along side of other well known evangelical preachers/speakers.I didn't get to attend but I know friends who did and I will say I heard nothing but great reviews from his message and these are people who are not reformed or calvinistic in any sense.

I was reading an article on facebook shared by a friend speaking on Pipers message.The author of the article seemed to accuse piper and others there of a catholic practice of Lectio Divina.From what I read it had something dealing with the practice of meditating on God's word to hear a still voice,freeing oneself of intellectualism and expecting words from God.

I thought the authors accusations were false describing Piper's position on revelation,as far as I know Piper is more closer to the reformed position on special revelation than anything else.I cannot speak for the other speakers because I do not know where they stand or listen to them(most likely because they were women preachers).I believe the author doesn't realize that while Piper is a continualist which is not a historical reformed stance and I disagree with his view which I believe has errors,his view of the gifts do not reflect or tie in to his view of the authority of scripture to my knowledge,among other great modern day faithful preachers and theologians like those with CJ Mahaney, Wayne Grudem and others.

Here's the article:
On John Piper and Lectio Divina… « air

Whats your thoughts? Have you guys had opinions on Piper that's similar to this author wrote regarding this practice or what?

Well being their, I didn't here that. Although, I do believe their are a lot of speakers at passion that believe that, piper isn't one of them.

Piper preached against free-will at passion btw which I really enjoyed, they call passion the gateway drug to Calvinism lol

Yeah I heard his sermon online,he articulated saving faith very well especially to that particular crowd because I know some other churches that went and they are antinomian all the way.

however,the authors concerns in this article is not about free-will,its about God's revelation to man.

One of my pastors was a pastoral intern at Bethlehem a few years back, and he says that Piper is very exegetically driven. The idea that he believes in freeing oneself intellectually is ridiculous. If anything, he would say that meditation is very active in mulling over what is expressly stated in Scripture! Have you heard the sermon clip where he says that he heard God talk to him? It's so good, and his point is that God spoke to him through the Word of God that he had learned; in other words, what was in the text was the message, nothing mystical besides it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back