John Stott passes away 7/27/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a link?

I've gotta say, it's kinda nice to be able to say "rest in peace" with a clear conscience when a saint passes.

A good example of someone with the gift of singleness, content in God as he was, bearing good fruit, living honorably, and to ripe old age.

At what point in his career did he stray into Annihilationism? I haven't read any of his books. Which are the most profitable?

I think his two best books are: The Cross of Christ (1986), his volume on the atonement, and The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World (1994), his commentary on Romans in the "Bible Speaks Today" series. He was a fine Bible scholar and theologian and, by all accounts, a fine man. Yes, he stumbled regarding annihilation but, this side of Jordan, no one's perfect. RIP.

The position on hell seems to have been held by him for some time before he went public with it in his dialog book, Evangelical Essentials: A Liberal-Evangelical Dialogue with David Edwards and John Stott, releaed by IVP in '88 (cf. 312ff.).

Fox News confirms it: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/07/27/evangelical-leader-rev-john-stott-dies-at-0/.

I once heard Piper say that he was in awe of Stott but still cannot understand how he jettisoned hell.

RIP

Interestingly, he died exactly 3 months, to the day, after his 90th birthday (April 27). I understand that he had backed off on his denial of hell, saying that he was "agnostic" on the subject.

[video=youtube;tD6JW-RnBQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6JW-RnBQQ&feature=share[/video]

John R. W. Stott & neo pentacostalism

Rev. Stott's work on the person and work of the Holy Ghost, Baptism and Fullness of the Holy Spirit, had the probably unintended consequence, of providing cover for the rise of the neo pentecostal movement within Anglicanism.

The Lord used Basic Christianity to lead a very good friend of mine to Christ this past year. Stott was a very godly man. He struggled with the doctrine of conditional immortality for a few years and it was mostly noted around the time he did a book called Evangelical Essentials with David Edwards in the late 80's. He was an excellent spirit and a man of God. He reached a lot of souls and I imagine he will be surprised by the influence he had in Christ's Church. He was a goodly chap and I don't even feel worthy to carry his dung out to the curb. He belonged to Christ and everyone knew it.

He later commented he was agnostic about the teaching on Eternal Torment in an interview in the late 90's. It can be found here.
ARTICLE: Basic Stott, Part 2 | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

A much-used man who is now with the Lord, but also flawed, as his involvement with ecumenism evidences. Read the 1977 Nottingham Statement for an example.

The Nottingham Statement

Still, there is so much to thankful for in the life of this humble, devoted, servant of God.

John Stott was a wonderful servant of God who did so much for mission, preaching, social concerns and his literature has been used to bring many to Christ. He was not a perfect man but lets not spend time on his faults but Praise God for the good that the Lord affected through him.

'The Cross of Christ', 'Baptism and Fullness', 'Basic Christianity', 'Your Mind Matters' and numerous commentaries - Pure Gold.

I knew an Anglican priest during combat who had been at a conference with John Stott around 2000. He stated that Stott was a servant at heart and, though famous to all around, was literally waiting hand and foot on everyone there. His humility and servants heart impressed this man greatly.

RIP

I knew an Anglican priest during combat who had been at a conference with John Stott around 2000. He stated that Stott was a servant at heart and, though famous to all around, was literally waiting hand and foot on everyone there. His humility and servants heart impressed this man greatly.

RIP

I can second that priest's observation from my own brief meeting with Rev. Stott. Possibly the single most influential evangelical of the twentieth century. A great saint is now with the Lord he dearly loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back