John Weemes (Wemyss) - Exposition of lawes of Moses

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Does anyone know of where either one of these books could be found (ideally online)? I ran across his name and book in the Scottish Dictionary of Church History and Theology under Sabbatarianism. I checked and SWRB does not have it on their cd's or website.

http://www.davidclachman.com/antilist/webanti2.htm

113. S Weemse, John. An Exposition of the Ceremoniall Lawes of Moses, as they are annexed to the Tenne Commandements. Wherein are cleared divers customs of the Iewes, and also the customes of the Gentiles,... London: M. Dawson for Iohn Bellamie, 1636. Title soiled & a bit frayed at edges; some soiling & staining; lacks initial blank. (30) 261 (1)pp WITH An Exposition of the Iudiciall Lawes OF Moses, Plainly discovering divers of their ancient Rites and Customes. London: M.Dawson for Iohn Bellamie, 1636. (27) 223 (1) WITH Exercitations Divine: Containing diverse Questions and Solutions for the right understanding of the Scriptures:... London: T. Cotes for Iohn Bellamie, 1634. (30) 188 (3)pp **4to, original calf, newly rebacked; some soiling & staining throughout. Seemingly STC 25213a.5, 25214.5 & 25212.5; W's works are bound in various combinations, sometimes with an added general title. Spurgeon terms W "Solid, sober, weighty." $450.

112. Weemse, John. The Christian Synagogue. The third Edition, corrected and amended. London: T. and R. Cotes, for Iohn Bellamy, 1630. 4to, original calf, newly rebacked. (16) 297pp **STC 25211; "Wherein is contained the diverse Reading, The right Pointing, Translation, and Collation of Scripture with Scripture. With the Customes of the Hebrewes and Proselytes, and of all those Nations, with whom they were conversant." $350.

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by crhoades]

Chris,
Not online for free that I know of. Surprised these weren't "obtained" for the Puritan CDs as well. These works are probably available from Early English Books online and also on the microfilm set. I recall checking a work by Weemse on the law for David Hall when doing research for him on views of creation days at the time around the Westminster Assembly. Or I may be thinking of something else. So short answer is, Weemse is not readily available, unless you have a university near you that has invested in either the microfilm or the online service.

Originally posted by crhoades
Does anyone know of where either one of these books could be found (ideally online)? I ran across his name and book in the Scottish Dictionary of Church History and Theology under Sabbatarianism. I checked and SWRB does not have it on their cd's or website.

http://www.davidclachman.com/antilist/webanti2.htm

113. S Weemse, John. An Exposition of the Ceremoniall Lawes of Moses, as they are annexed to the Tenne Commandements. Wherein are cleared divers customs of the Iewes, and also the customes of the Gentiles,... London: M. Dawson for Iohn Bellamie, 1636. Title soiled & a bit frayed at edges; some soiling & staining; lacks initial blank. (30) 261 (1)pp WITH An Exposition of the Iudiciall Lawes OF Moses, Plainly discovering divers of their ancient Rites and Customes. London: M.Dawson for Iohn Bellamie, 1636. (27) 223 (1) WITH Exercitations Divine: Containing diverse Questions and Solutions for the right understanding of the Scriptures:... London: T. Cotes for Iohn Bellamie, 1634. (30) 188 (3)pp **4to, original calf, newly rebacked; some soiling & staining throughout. Seemingly STC 25213a.5, 25214.5 & 25212.5; W's works are bound in various combinations, sometimes with an added general title. Spurgeon terms W "Solid, sober, weighty." $450.

112. Weemse, John. The Christian Synagogue. The third Edition, corrected and amended. London: T. and R. Cotes, for Iohn Bellamy, 1630. 4to, original calf, newly rebacked. (16) 297pp **STC 25211; "Wherein is contained the diverse Reading, The right Pointing, Translation, and Collation of Scripture with Scripture. With the Customes of the Hebrewes and Proselytes, and of all those Nations, with whom they were conversant." $350.

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by crhoades]

From Spurgeon's Commenting and Commentaries Catalogue on the Decalogue:

WEEMSE (John. Died about 1636). The Morall Laws. [In Vol. I. of Weemse's Works; 2 vols., 4to. Lond., 1632, &c.] 3/-Solid, sober, weighty. Orme says of Weemse: "He was well acquainted with the original Scriptures, with Jewish manners and antiquities, and with the best mode of interpreting the Bible. The style is quaint, but always intelligible."

BTW, the Christian Heritage Center has his Exercitations Divine (1632).

Here is the full title of one of his works (which is in the Rutgers University Library):

The Christian synagogue. VVherein is contained the diverse reading, the right pointing, translation, and collation of Scripture with Scripture. With the customes of the Hebrewes and proselytes, and of all those nations, with whom they were conuersant. Digested into three bookes· The first, shewing the meanes both inward and outward, to attaine to the knowledge of the sense of the whole Scripture. The second, unfolding the true sense of the Scripture it selfe ... The third, teaching the true manner of confirmation, illustration, and application of doctrines ... Serving generally for a helpe to the vnderstanding of all, that desire to know and obey the will of God in holy Writ: but more especially for all young students in divinity, that they may more easily vnderstand the languages of Canaan and Greece, and make a profitable vse of them in preaching. By Iohn Weemse, of Lathoquar, in Scotland, preacher of Christs Gospell.
by John Weemes

Type: English : Book : Non-fiction
Publisher: London : Printed by T. and R. Cotes, for Iohn Bellamy, and are to be sold at his shop, at the three Golden Lyons in Cornhill, neere the Royall Exchange, 1630.

Another antiquarian bookseller has this for sale:

WEEMSE, J. An exposition of the lawes of Moses. Viz. Morall, ceremoniall, Judiciall ...Together with an explication of sundry difficult texts of Scripture .. All which are cleered out of the originall languages, the Hebrew and Greeke ... Bound with: Exercitations divine. And: The Christian synagogue. Third edition. "¢ London, J. Dawson for J. Bellamie, 1632 / T. & R. Cotes for J. Bellamy, 1630. Small 4to. Four parts in one volume, together 9 woodcut illustrations in the text. [Corner of one leaf repaired with loss of marginal text, otherwise in good interior condition; contemporary calf, rather worn]
EUR 400,00
A notoriously difficult to distinguish collection of works by the Scottish divine John Wemyss (DNB) or Weemse (our copy) (1579 - 1636). See Pollard - Redgrave (who spell Weemes) 25207.5 for the general title; our set comprises 25213a, 25214, 25212, and 25211 (in that order).
In the Exercitations divine Wemyss devotes two chapters to the old Oriental scripts, and reproduces Exod. 31:12 (after a manuscript?) in Samaritan, in a very passable woodcut block. One of the reasons for opposing the theory of the priority of the Samaritan Bible version is that "then it should follow that the Church hath wanted the true originall Text untill the yeare of God, 1626. when Petrus de Valle brought it from Damascus" (p. 112) which of course was unacceptable. Crown2 3475 & 3476.
In the printing of the first three works a fine sefardi Hebrew is used, not mentioned in PO 365e; but the oldest work bound at the end The Christian Synagogue offers a very interesting example of Hebrew woodcut printing: apart from a sparingly exhibited unpointed typeface described in PO 370a, the pages 32-33 have vocalised Hebrew quotations in a rather crude woodcut.

I was under perhaps the mistaken impression Mr. Weemse was a Scot. I couldn't find a bio. In any event, evidently all his works were collected and published in 1637 as noted in this entry from Harvard's card catalogue:
Author : Weemes, John, 1579?-1636.
Title : Works. 1637
Title : The workes of Mr. Iohn Weemse ... : in foure volumnes : containing ...
Published : London : Printed by T. Cotes, for Iohn Bellamie, 1637.

Locations/Orders : Availability
Location : Houghton STC 25209 [In this copy, the individual imprints are STC 25211, 25217.5, 25216.5, 25208.3, 25212, 25213a.5, 25214.5 and 25218.] [Autographs of Peter Clark (1714), William Clark (1768), and Joseph Tuckerman (1814).] [Bound in four volumes in contemporary sheep with paper labels.] Holdings Availability
Description : 4 v. : ill. ; 21 cm. (4to)
Contents : v. 1. The Christian synagogue ; The portraiture of the image of God in man ; Observations naturall and morall -- v. 2. An exposition of the morall law, or ten commandements of Almightie God ; An exposition of the second table of the morall law ; Exercitationes divine -- v. 3. An exposition of the ceremoniall lawes of Moses ; An exposition of the judiciall lawes of Moses ; A treatise of the foure degenerate sonnes.
Notes : This is a reissue of the 1636 three volume Workes with a new title-page for Vol. 1 and the inclusion of the author´s Treatise of the foure degenerate sonnes; the 1636 edition itself was a reissue of a number of Weemes´ works with a collective title-page; the combination of imprints varies from copy to copy. For further details on specific holdings see STC.
References : STC (2nd ed.) 25209

From the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, pg. 861

Wemyss (Weemse), John (c.1579-1636), minister and Hebrew scholar. Born at Lathocker, East Fife, and educated at St. Andrews (MA, 1600), he was appointed minister of Hutton, Berwickshire, in 1608, and translated to Duns in 1613. For several years he acted as a representative of Presbyterian ministers in altercations with champions of episcopacy, e.g. at the Falkland Conference (1609) and the Perth Assembly of 1618 which issued the Five Articles. After appearing before the Court of High Commission in 1620 for disobeying the Articles, he apparently gave up ecclesiastical affairs and devoted himself to study and writing. His commitment to Presbyterianism also gave way to Episcopalian sympathies; Charles I appointed him a prebendary of Durham in 1634.

His writings were all devoted to the interpretation of Scripture to aid preaching and teaching. Three expositions dealt with the parts of the Mosaic law, judicial, ceremonial, and moral (L, 1632).
The Portraiture of the Image of God in Man (L, 1627) is a biblical anthropology and psychology, and The Christian Synagogue (L, 1632) a kind of Bible handbook, while Exercitations Divine (L, 1634) resolve issues and questions touching on the right understanding of Scripture. Wemyss stressed the value of 'arts and sciences' and the original languages. The prominence he gave to Hebrew and to Jewish writings, from the Midrash through the medievals to the early moderns, made him one of the pioneers in Scotland of the study of Jewish life and learning.

D.F. Wright

Thanks Chris. I must have been crossed eyed, or it was late, when I tried to find the below myself. His works all sound interesting.
Originally posted by crhoades
From the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, pg. 861

Wemyss (Weemse), John (c.1579-1636), minister and Hebrew scholar. Born at Lathocker, East Fife, and educated at St. Andrews (MA, 1600), he was appointed minister of Hutton, Berwickshire, in 1608, and translated to Duns in 1613. ...

COPAC

Also, I should note, that his works must be very rare as I did not find many searching UK libraries online. COPAC is a great resource if you have not used it. Perhaps one reason he was not reprinted, was what occurred in 1637? Having left the Presbyterian fold he would not have been much in favor, even if he had lived.

From the DNB:

WEMYSS or WEEMES, JOHN (1579? -- 1636), divine, born about 1579, was the only son of John Wemyss of Lathockar in Fife. He was educated at the university of St. Andrews, where he graduated M.A. in 1600. In 1608 he was appointed by the general assembly minister of Hutton in Berwickshire, 'as one of the best learned and disposed for peace of those on the side of the ministers, for maintaining unity among the brethren, who were considered as tending to episcopacy.' At the conference between the ministers and bishops at Falkland in May 1609, however, Wemyss was chosen a representative of the ministers (WODROW, Collections, Spalding Soc., p. 240). In 1613 he was translated to Dunse, and in 1618 was present at the assembly in Perth, where he was chosen by Archbishop Spottiswood as one of the ministers' representatives at the preliminary conference held on 26 Aug. On 26 Jan. 1619-20, in company with several other ministers, he appeared before the court of high commission to answer the charge of contumacy in not carrying out the form of ritual prescribed by the five articles of Perth, and one 2 March he and his fellows were dismissed with a reprimand and an earnest remonstrance from Spottiswood.

After this warning Wemyss devoted himself entirely to the peaceful paths of scriptural study. In 1623 he published 'The Christian Synagogue. Wherein in contayned the diverse Reading, the right Poynting, Translation, and Collation of Scripture with Scripture. With the customes of the Hebrewes and Proselytes and of all those Nations with whom they were conversant' (London, 4to). The work, which was dedicated to Thomas Hamilton, earl of Melrose [q.v.], and contained as an address to the Christian reader by William Symson, reached a fourth edition in 1633. It was followed in 1627 by 'The Portraiture of the Image of God in Man' (London, 4to; 3rd ed. 1636, 4to, dedicated to Sir David Foulis [q.v.], and in 1632 by 'An Explication of the Judicial Lawes of Moses' (London, 4to), dedicated to the Earl of Seaforth, by 'An Explanation of the Ceremonial Lawes of Moses' (London, 4to), dedicated to Sir Robert Ker (afterwards first Earl of Ancrum) [q.v.], and by 'An Exposition of the Morall Law or Ten Commandments of Almightie God, set downe by way of Exercitations' (London, 4to), dedicated to James Hay, first earl of Carlisle [q.v.], which was frequently bound with the preceding work. In reward of his achievements Charles I nominated him to the second prebend of Durham, where he was installed on 7 June 1634. He died in 1636. He was twice married: first, to Margaret Cockburn, by whom he had a son David; and, secondly, to Janet Murray, by whom he had a daughter and a son John, who succeeded him in his estate at Lathockar.

Besides enjoying considerable contemporary fame, the expository works of Wemyss were praised and perhaps read by authors who flourished long after his death. In addition to the works already mentioned he was the author of: 1. 'Exercitations Divine containing diverse Questions and Solutions for the right understanding of the Scriptures,' London, 1634, 8vo. Dedicated to Sir Thomas Coventry [q.v.] 2. 'Observations Naturall and Morall, with a short Treatise of the Numbers, Weights, and Measures, used by the Hebrewes,' London, 1636, 8vo. Copies of Wemyss's treatises were bound in three or four volumes and issued with fresh title-pages bearing the date 1636 or 1637 as 'The Workes of Mr. Iohn Weemse of Lathocker.'

Wemyss must be distinguished from four contemporaries: John Wemyss, the comissary of St. Andrews University, a strong supporter of the crown; John Wemyss (d. 1659), minister of Cuikstone, afterwards Kinnaird in Brechin, who was equally zealous in opposing the ecclesiastical innovocations of James VI and Charles I; John Wemyss (d. 1632?), minister of Negg in Aberdeenshire, and John Wemyss (d. 1640), minister of Rothes, who was reputed to be a brother of John, first earl of Wemyss.

[Wemyss's Works; Douglas's Baronage, i., 553; Soct's Fasti Eccles. Scoticanae, L. ii. 403, 440; Calderwood's Hist. of the Kirk of Scotland (Wodrow Soc., vol. vii. passim.]

E.I.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back